Engine ID

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

jf100

Engine ID

Post by jf100 »

I am trying to put in a set of long tube headers and everyone has them for a 302W. How do I tell if mine is a 302W? When I go to he parts store and tell them it is a 69 f100 302 they are saying they did not make them in 69. They did put them in at 69 1/20 Thanks for any info that you can pass along. I have heard that some had to notch the cross member about a 1/4 in. I really do not want to do that.

jf100
M-100

Re: Engine ID

Post by M-100 »

If you post a pic of your engine someone will be able to tell which engine you have
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You should start shopping at a different parts store. The Ford 302 has been in production since 1968. Just tell them it's just a 302 or 5.0L, drop the W, and they'll understand better. The W stands for the Windsor assembly plant and was mostly used for the 351W to distinguish it from the 351C or Cleveland. You will most likely have interference on the passenger side frame rail, the steering gear box and, the crossmember under the rear of the block.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Full tube headers for our trucks that fit well do exist as I was able to find some. the only issue I had was getting the right side in and all that required was for me to take the motor mounts loose from the perches and jack it up until it would go in and the only clearance issue I had was when it was cold out the header flanges would hit the cross member under the back of the motor slightly. All I did to remedy that was to put a spacer between the trans cross member and the frame to change the tilt of the motor a bit. Heck I could even get the starter off with no issues after putting them on.
If I can remember where I ordered mine from I'll let you know.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..