Carb heater plate?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Carb heater plate?

Post by Zorm »

Can anyone explain this part and if we really need this? It on my 360 2bbl, sits between the carb and intake. Coolant lines and a line from the left valve cover connected to it. I thought we want cooler air in the engine.

thanks
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Carb heater plate?

Post by cep62 »

In Florida you may not need it , but up north it sure helps the drive ability when its cold out.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Carb heater plate?

Post by Nitekruizer »

I removed mine because I only drive my truck during summer, however I did drive my Mercury year round at the time, so, I nstalled the heated spacer under the carb on that engine. The heated spacer helps with warm ups during winter and it almost guarantees that you won't get carburetor icing. In a warm climate you could either replace it with a standard spacer or just disconnect the coolant lines from it. Your intake air will be slightly cooler. If you do remove the spacer you will have find a place to connect your PCV hose from your valve cover. Try to get a spacer that has a PCV port.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)