Should my fuel vent hose be capped like this??

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Terry Veiga

Should my fuel vent hose be capped like this??

Post by Terry Veiga »

Hello,

I'm ordering a new rubber tank filler neck and grommet for my '72 F-100 (Calif) with the factory in-cab tank, evap system, and a factory-style cap. I noticed that the hose running from the tank's evap system, through the cab floor and down along the passenger side has a plug on its end. Is that correct?
fuel-vent-hose.JPG
in-cab-tank.JPG
gas-cap.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Should my fuel vent hose be capped like this??

Post by sargentrs »

Not originally. That line goes to the emissions charcoal canister. Looks like somebody made some modifications. http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... w-evap.jpg
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Thanks sargentrs.

It appears that Ford's charcoal canister system is designed to be a closed circuit; is my "contraption" possibly plugged in order to cut down on smelly fumes and/or does plugging it affect engine performance?
In His Holy Name
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

That cap is a little vented cap that is normally used on the axle vent tubes of newer vehicles. On our old trucks. the axle vents were placed in an out of the way location. The hose was not capped, but left open. The breather cap on your fuel vent will allow it to breath and keep debris out. Is it right? No, it would be better to have it hooked to a charcoal canister. Running the tank vent through a canister, or the way it is now, will have no effect on the performance of the engine.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

I appreciate your help Gents, and I was totally surprised by the tons of forum posts that came up when Googling "ford f100 charcoal canister," this is a popular topic. Plus, I noticed I'm already feeling some carbon footprint guilt so I added this to my To Do list. Cheers!

And I found a pic of what a '71 canister looks like:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=48209
71-charcoal-canister.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In His Holy Name