Is It The Gas Tank?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Bigcalhoun

Is It The Gas Tank?

Post by Bigcalhoun »

Gents,
My '70 302 seemed to be having a fuel issue of some sort. In particular, it was struggling a bit upon initial acceleration and at lower speeds. It seemed to be maybe a little starved for gas. I normally burn ethanol free gas to help reduce moisture in the lines. My solution was to run a can of Sea Foam through the tank and spray a can of carb cleaner in to the carb. It ran like a dream until the tanks got 2/3 empty then I get the same thing.

I'm starting to think the gas tank has rust or other garbage in it that is creating the problem based on it doing so well after the carb cleaning but acting the fool once the tank got lower. I filled her back up but still getting some kicking and cussing.

Am I on to something with the tank theory? :?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
'70 F100 Sport Custom, 302
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Is It The Gas Tank?

Post by tsherry »

Probably. Drain the tank (I use an electric fuel pump with a line down the filler), and pull the tank. Fair chance that the ethanol/gas you've been running has "cleaned" several decades of crud from the tank innards, and is clogging up the pickup tube. Once it's out, drain the sludge out (probably also via the filler) into a disposable container(5 gallon bucket or three). Also, the fuel pickup tube could be rotted off, and only picks up fuel from the top part of the tank when it's full. I had one that looked like a sieve on the lower 1/3, so the truck would starve for fuel, even though the tank still had plenty of gas in it.

I used the Por-15 clean and seal kit on four or five tanks which worked quite well. The oldest of these cleanings is 10 years old, still no issues. You also want to replace all of your rubber lines.

Then, if you can, don't use ethanol gas ever again. "Straight" gas is "more expensive", until you actually run the numbers on mileage: Ethanol gas in my experience provides poorer gas mileage and poorer power; pure gasoline better mileage and more power. You get what you pay for.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Bigcalhoun

Post by Bigcalhoun »

Good news on this post. After a new set of plug wires and distributor cap, it’s running better than it has in years. Such an obvious fix in retrospect. While there may be some junk in the tank, not the main issue it seems.
'70 F100 Sport Custom, 302
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Cool. When you're ready for an upgrade, drop in a duraspark 2, and be prepared for another jump in performance and quick starts.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:yt: like tsherry said bout the duraspark, and...it's a pretty easy conversion.
At least throw a Petronix conversion in it, loved mine and went trouble free for years after installing it too.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4