Won't run

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Roscoe Clyde

Won't run

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

Here's my story,
I couldn't get the truck to fire up the other day. After lots of winding on her she finally fired up, bucked like crazy, and died. Got her to fire back up and went for a drive. She ran fine the whole time, but when I shut her down, she wouldn't fire back up. I changed the points and condenser and she came back to life, but was missing bad. Readjusted the points and got her to fire up, but real weak. Played with the point a little and then nothing. I have since changed the coil, rotor button, and cap, but she now doesn't fire at all. Just spins. I had just changed out the carb and she appears to have plenty of fuel. When I check the spark, it's real weak. Timing appears fine and I changed the resistor wire a couple of years ago.
Anyway just looking for some other ideas. She has been running solid for like 20 years now. I guess it's time.

Please and thank you,
Roscoe Clyde
1970 F-100 300 3 on-the-tree
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Won't run

Post by sargentrs »

Replace the condenser again. Buy 2 or 3. Most are junk. I had a similar problem with my '64 Fairlane. One day, I ran out gas, fuel gauge didn't work. After putting gas in she wouldn't start, no fire. Replaced the points and condenser and she still had no spark. Replaced the condenser again and she fired right up. Shortly after I swapped in a Duraspark electronic ignition and had no more problems.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390xlt

Post by 390xlt »

I second the above. I had a similar problem and it took a couple of tries to get a good condenser.
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed
dtcohen

Post by dtcohen »

Quit screwing around with points and condensers. Buy a pertronix electronic ignition and be done with it. They are less than $100, easy to install, and work flawlessly.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx- ... /make/ford
Roscoe Clyde

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

Bad condensor would make sence. I'll check it later tonight and let y'all know. And as far as the Pentronix, I agree. I have that on the wife's Mustang, just haven't got around to updating the truck. Never really had any trouble until now.
Anyway thanks for the advice and I'll check it out.

Roscoe Clyde
Roscoe Clyde

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

Geniuses, you're all geniuses. $5 condenser and she runs like a dream. A little bit of tuning and we're partying like it's 1970.

Thanks again,
Roscoe Clyde
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Keep a spare. Congratulations!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I won't buy any ignition parts for my bump from the parts store just for the fact of it's mostly junk anymore. My advice to you is it you're like me and dont want to switch to an electronic ignition is do what I've been doing and buy NOS Motorcraft stuff that is still floating around out there - I've gotten quite a good stash off eBay..............just my :2cents:

Part #'s for them.....all Motorcraft

Plugs BF42
Points DP12
Condenser DC13A
Rotor DR5 or 5A
Distributor cap DH6 - these aren't cheap!

DKF1 tune up kit - has points, rotor, and condenser
TKF10 tune up kit - has points, condenser, and spark plugs

If you watch you can get this stuff reasonably and I've ran this in my bump with zero issues...... :D
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Roscoe Clyde

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

New issue, she fires up nice and idles smooth, but as soon as I go for a drive, she starts back firing every time I let off the gas. And then she dies as soon as I stop. Fires right back up and will stay running until I rev her up. I just changed out the carb as well. Would that be the problem?

Please and thank you,
Roscoe Clyde
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Have you checked your points? Also, don't rule out another bad condenser.
Randy
Roscoe Clyde

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

I've run two different sets of points with the same results. I had changed my resister wire in the cab a few years ago. I went ahead and changed the section under the hood and then got a new condenser. This resolved all of the sputtering and missing. I sent the carb back, should have a new one Wednesday. I may throw a new set of points and condenser when I put the new carb on.

Thank you,
Roscoe Clyde.
Roscoe Clyde

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

Just to let y'all know the latest update. She's still popping and running like crap. When I set the timing with the vacuum disconnected, she runs great. Hook the vacuum back up and as soon as I rev it up, popping and missing. I set the timing at 10, plug up the vacuum line and run her up the road. She runs like a dream. So I figuring it's a worn out dizzy. I'll let y'all know if that fixes it.

Let me know if you think I'm completely off.

Please and thank you,
Roscoe Clyde
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Does she run differently at different rpm's? I had a problem with my 302 at one time. All of a sudden she started running like crap over 45 mph. I spent a whole afternoon trying get it run right. I adjusted my timing and she ran great above 45 mph but like crap under. Back and forth like that for 2 hours. Rather than buy a new points distributor I installed a Duraspark electronic ignition system. No more problems. For the heck of it I tore down the old distributor and found a broken advance spring was the problem all along. Might want to check that first.
Randy
Roscoe Clyde

Post by Roscoe Clyde »

She runs better at low speeds and Idles good, but as soon as I get on it, she just starts missing and sputtering. I tried the new distributor, but same issue. Right now I driving without the vacuum advance hooked up and she's doing fine. I'm not sure what could be left.
Any ideas?

Please and thank you,
Roscoe Clyde
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Have you checked your vacuum advance canister to make sure it's working properly?
Randy