Cheap 360 FE rebuild

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Fordinblue20

Cheap 360 FE rebuild

Post by Fordinblue20 »

I am in the process of pulling the 360 FE out of the truck but I would like to know what is the cheapest way to rebuild one to stock specs? Can you reuse the pistons and rods? Should I rebuild my stock heads or purchase a set of remanufactured heads? My goal for this truck is to get it back on the road.. for light duty work. I don’t need a 390 at the moment. How much would I be looking at for a stock rebuild? I also thought about purchasing a shortblock but I’m unsure how reliable a $900 shortblock will be. :hmm:
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Cheap 360 FE rebuild

Post by Busboy »

It all depends on the wear that is currently on the old pistons, bore, crank etc. I always have the rods reconditioned, bore the cyls .030 over, turn or polish the crank, again depending on the wear that these parts have. My stock rebuilds with me buying the parts from Rock Auto will usually run around 2,500.00. I try and stay with the original heads that came with the engine since I at least know the origin of them. I don't subscribe to the school of always having the valve seats replaced with hardened ones just because. Supposedly around 71 they were all stellite seats anyway from the factory. If the original seats will clean up with a standard valve job then I just go with them.

Machinists seem to be like veterinarians in that they always try to sell you more services to boost their bottom line.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Busboy wrote:...Machinists seem to be like veterinarians in that they always try to sell you more services to boost their bottom line.
That made me laugh! I'd probably add dentists to that list as well. :lol:
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Fordinblue20

Post by Fordinblue20 »

Busboy wrote:It all depends on the wear that is currently on the old pistons, bore, crank etc. I always have the rods reconditioned, bore the cyls .030 over, turn or polish the crank, again depending on the wear that these parts have. My stock rebuilds with me buying the parts from Rock Auto will usually run around 2,500.00. I try and stay with the original heads that came with the engine since I at least know the origin of them. I don't subscribe to the school of always having the valve seats replaced with hardened ones just because. Supposedly around 71 they were all stellite seats anyway from the factory. If the original seats will clean up with a standard valve job then I just go with them.

Machinists seem to be like veterinarians in that they always try to sell you more services to boost their bottom line.
That’s funny I’m going to school to become a veterinarian! :woohoo: sounds good.. I am going to tear down the engine this weekend. I understand machine work can be expensive.. I just do not want to get ripped off. I appreciate the feedback. Eventually, I would like to build a 410 Stroker using the 428 FE Crankshaft.. but That’s on hold until I can afford that. :)
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I've kind of given up on trying to get things done economically. Yeah I hate paying a machine shop1200.00 for machine work but oh well, I'll make more money next month. I sent in a seat for reupholstering and had the discussion of around 600.00. It ended up being over 1000.00. I wasn't happy but what am I going to do at this point? He had my seat. It's all about communication or the lack thereof. I feel he should have alerted me if he found that it was going to be more expensive. I just tell myself not to get pissed. I'll do the next one myself. :cuss:
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

You can do them right, or do them cheap. It all depends on how bad what you have is.

FWIW, I do a lot of FEs, and by the time I square deck, bore, hone with a torque plate, and thread for NPT, it's an 850 dollar bill. However, the engine right, you have the compression you want, the quench you want with proper parts selection, and a straight bore that lasts a long time.

That's just the block, but what can you do? You can do a rering and new bearings and gaskets, might end up with piston slap, might run great for a couple years, might last longer, all depends on taper, squareness, you name it.

I recommend looking at the truck and asking if it will be worth anything when done. If no, go cheap and maybe go twice, if it is a nice truck, much easier to save and do it right
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs