More differences in model year details?

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

More differences in model year details?

Post by FORDification »

I was at the shop all day yesterday finishing up the with the box disassembly, and noticed a couple things that were new to me, in regards to little details about the differences between various model years.

Here's the first one:

CLICK TO ENLARGE
I noticed that the '72 SWB box that's supplying the floor has a slightly different bed support on the number three support (counting from the front) vs. my '67 SWB bed. The support goes right over the top of the leaf spring pack and is notched, apparently to give additional clearance for add-on booster springs. The '72 support is also wider (flared out) along this notch area:
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Here's the second:

CLICK TO ENLARGE

The rear suspension stop rubber bumper on my '67 was mounted to a bracket which was then riveted to the frame. On the '72 SWB chassis, the bumper is just bolted straight to the frame. However, the two holes which are used to rivet the mounting bracket to the frame still exist on the '72 frame. In the above pic I'm holding the '67 version next to the '72 version.

I was hoping I could get some of you to go out and check your trucks for these two items. I'd like to determine:

a) what models/years had the notched bed support (SWB/LWB, F100/F250, etc.)
b) what models/years used the mounting bracket for the rubber bumper.

Thanks! :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: More differences in model year details?

Post by 68F250 »

FORDification wrote: a) what models/years had the notched bed support (SWB/LWB, F100/F250, etc.)
b) what models/years used the mounting bracket for the rubber bumper.
68F250 Camper Special
a)the bed support just behind the rear axle has the notch
b)no mounting bracket for the bumper

I noticed the first bed support has a tapered notch just like the one directly over the rear spring shackle (behind the one you're asking about), like it's the same support used twice.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: More differences in model year details?

Post by FORDification »

Thanks for checking that Barry. Leads me to believe that the non-notched support was another '67-only anomoly.

The front support IS tapered, but not in the same way as the middle support, since it's a full-width support, whereas the one pictured above is a middle support and thus is about almost 2 feet shorter.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Mine is a 72 Custom, it is notched and the is rivited on with a bracket.
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: More differences in model year details?

Post by mk »

Having a look at my 67 and 68 boxes tonight makes me agree with you on that 67 only theory, Keith. These are both long boxes with five support ribs. On the 67, ribs two and five are identical with that angled notch Barry mentioned and ribs three and four over the axle are identical. On the 68 box, ribs two and five are again the same but number four has that relief for the springs. Forgot to look at the axle bumper mount.

mike