Hurculiner on the bottom of the cab

Moderator: FORDification

Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Hurculiner on the bottom of the cab

Post by Sharkdance »

Greetings all,

Hopefully by this time tomorrow Ill have my new floor pans installed and Ill be rolling Hurculiner across the entire floor of the cab.
I've seen this done by a few folks here on their trucks and like the idea and look of it.
My question is:
Since my cab is off the frame should I roll it on the bottom too? Or should I just paint it. (The bottom)
I'm thinking that rolling Hurculiner on both surfaces of the floor will encapsulate the steel and help prevent any future rust. As opposed to just painting the bottom.
What do you think?
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Hurculiner on the bottom of the cab

Post by FORDification »

That stuff should work great on the cab bottom....IF you can make sure that you rough up the surface well for best adhesion, and you make sure you get every single nook and cranny. What you don't want is for an area that isn't covered to get wet and the moisture to start trying to work it's way up under the edge of the Herculiner coating. Since that stuff is so tough, you wouldn't know about the rust until it's ready to drop out completely. If you take a little extra time for surface prep, I think I'd be inclined to go with the Herculiner on the cab bottom. It'll also help as a sound dampener, which should help quiet things down just a little, inside the cab.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Great idea sharkdance, can't wait to see pics.
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Yea, take a lot of photos (should be a good trick with that Herculiner sticking to every available surface on your clothes and skin!). I did my floor in Herculiner and like the look. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to do both sides. Like Keith said, it's all in the prep work. Good luck.
jor
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

Welp, I didn't get as far as I wanted this past weekend.
Saturday was honey-do day. Since my wife is the one who bought my new floor pans how could I say no or put off her list any longer?
Sunday was freakin cold! At least until about 1PM when I stopped wimping out and actually got outside and started working on the cab to discover that the weather was actually pretty nice.
I worked until it got too dark to see and the wife sent one of my boys outside to tell me dinner was ready.

I had planned on having both new pans in and the Hurculiner rolled at least on the inside but only got as far as one pan in and the other one trimmed and fitted.
I would work on it at night but I have too much respect for my neighbors to make that much noise after dark.
I don't think they would say anything, but that don't make it right.
So now Im shooting for next weekend to have the other pan completely welded in, and the Hurculiner rolled on both sides of the bottom of the cab.
Then Ill be ready to finally put it on the frame. :woohoo:

I want to take pix but I get too nasty to handle the cam so Ill have to have one of my boys snap a few shots from time to time.

Till then, thanks all for the encouragement. Especially you Keith for this place and your willingness to help all of us.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6