Roof Dent Repair Idea

Moderator: FORDification

TEXAS 70 RANGER XLT

Roof Dent Repair Idea

Post by TEXAS 70 RANGER XLT »

Well fellers we had bounced around some ideas at the TX/OK Meet n Greet about how the fix the dents in the top of my cab caused by my 8 yr old's boney butt.

Here's what I did today that worked great!!

First you have to be using some kind of headliner. I have a factory one.
This will cover up the "ribs".

I measured and cut two pieces of the 1" aluminium frame "rib" used for screen windows at approx 31 in. and notched one end about 1/2 in from the end. This measurement was for the specific area for my dents but might vary for other models. The metal is just strong enough to hold its shape as I bent it to fit inside the drip rail and formed it to fit the underside arch. The notch at the end is so that the flat side against the roof will side under the central cab roof support. This will take a few times to get the arch so that it is a tight fit to the roof. I was able to bent the rib by hand pretty easy without creating any deep creases. Which is how it keeps its strength to hold up the roof.

After a few dry mountings I marked both the ribs' positions on both sides ( they are about 4 in. apart ) across the center of my dent. I used 10 min. epoxy and lightly sanded/cleaned the roof and the ribs. After applying epoxy just to the roof (One Rib at a time) I slid each rib into place and supported with a couple of 1/2 X 4 boards. I found that using boards that over lap and a few clamps worked great to get the right pressure. I laid a 2 X 10 on my seat to support the 1/2 X 4's.

Guess what? No more dents in the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For now!
If you always do what you've always done. You'll always get what you always got.

Greg