Rattle can paint suggestioins

Moderator: FORDification

Fordfool

Rattle can paint suggestioins

Post by Fordfool »

I hope to paint my frame this coming Friday. I plan to POR-15 it and then rattle can over it with an undecided color. What brand of spray can paint usually holds up better or what has everyone used for this? Does wal-mart carry a decent brand? Whatever it is, I imagine that if I spray it onto the por-15 while still tacky will become pretty dern strong. Thanks for your suggestions.
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Rattle can paint suggestioins

Post by flyboy2610 »

Rustoleum makes some paint spefically for automotive use. I use it a lot. You can get it at Menards, I don't know about Wally World.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Lazy Jake

Post by Lazy Jake »

Why do you want to rattle can over POR-15?
1946 Ford business coupe
1968 Ford F-250 Camper Special
Fordfool

Post by Fordfool »

Apparently, POR-15 is UV sensitive, and even though I am painting the frame, I just wanted to add that extra coat for protection. This will be the only time I have this truck this far apart.

Today I went to Ace Hardware and bought 10 cans of Krylon Semi-Flat black rattlecan spraypaint. I so wanted to paint the frame white, but reality settled in and I bought black. It will be much easier to keep clean or not look as dirty. I did seriously ocnsider a paint called "Hammered" look, but it kinda looked "orange peelish" and I couldnt get past that. Tomorrow will be my first trial with POR-15 and I am gonna paint up a bunch of smaller parts first. Cannot wait to get my hands dirty! Got my rubba gloves all ready.
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

that hammered would look good i liked your silver idea.
Fordfool

Post by Fordfool »

Hey thanks Craig, how are you getting along? Yeah I have waffled so many times on colors, I am horrible on deciding on something and sticking to it. I usually end up going conservative, which the black for the frame will look good anyways. I do have some sterling silver that will be used somewheres though. I do think I have decided to go with purple and white theme on the body. I am considering trimming the drip rails too. That all depends on how comfortable I feel about the seals holdong up in the rain. Not that it rains around here :-)
My Gallery

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yeah my uncle in church when i lived in Oregon Described me as his nephew from Rainy Cali, And that i had said i loved never rains but always shine Oregon so much i was gonna stay. :lol:

Just one thought with paint thats supposed to Orange Peel. Is what would it look like if you got it to orange peel on top of the look? Would it look worse?

I have been using the wally world brand and have found it to be the best.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

POR 15 also carries chassis coat, thats what I painted over mine with after the coat of POR 15. Has a nice finish when it's clean. A big recommendation is their engine enamel. I sprayed mine with that stuff and even the heads are still glossy.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I plan to use the engine enamel POR-15 when I get to that stage.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
olefordguy

Post by olefordguy »

"wally world" good source for rattle cans. two things; one, warm up the "can" in warm water it adheres a little better.Two; there is a device out that will clamp over the ''can" nossel and acts as a spray gun...this will allow a better presentation.
"SEMPER-FI." 1961-1968
2nd Adminment....You Bet
Cut my teeth on Ford...First Ford 40' Convert.