Fiberglass bumpers?

Moderator: FORDification

bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Fiberglass bumpers?

Post by bluef250 »

Typical fiberglass parts are made from a mold cast from another piece. Use your bumper or hood to make mold, then lay up the fiberglass part in the mold. It is a lot of work to make them look good. The color begins with a gel coat, then appropriate finish on the gel coat.

If anyone or thing hits the bumper it will be history. But you still have the mold and can make more.

Do a Internet search and you may find the fiberglass hoods. I doubt anyone make bumpers. If the bumper is to heavy consider a push bar arrangement similar to wreckers or law enforcement. I have seem some that really look good.
SMF Speed&Custom

Post by SMF Speed&Custom »

Oh well that is true. I mean, I know guys that make movie props (we go to his house in Tennessee) and he makes molds for things like masks for movies, etc with two type of liquids. Gotta be careful with them since they make little bubbles in the air and you can't breath them or nothing. But yeah maybe it's too much to do this when I can buy a hood for 600 bucks. Would be awsome to actually make the molds and sell a few but heck that is the last thing on my mind. lol For the bumpers, I kind of like the round bar type of thing but them again I don't want it to stand out. I like things real clean with NO emblems, trim or nothing. I thought that getting bumpers made and then paint them the same color as the truck would look nice. Plus the bumpers on these 66's look real nice IMO because they are small and fit snug against the body.