Another tailgate question.

Moderator: FORDification

Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Another tailgate question.

Post by Joe Kriston »

I just picked up my truck after the guy painted the tailgate and was shocked...I thought that all the tailgates were the same(with or without the aluminum trim),and that I would only have to fill the rivet holes ,as far as body work was concerned...Well,that outer ring that surrounds the F-O-R-D letters that's stamped into the tailgate has 12 additional stampings in that ring,...I'm guessing to accomodate the alum. trim panel...I'd post a pic if I knew how...Does anybody know what I'm talking about?...I'd be pissed if I was going to show this truck or something,but as it is,it looks ok...unless you know your Ford pickups....
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Another tailgate question.

Post by FORDification »

I'd sure like to see a picture of your tailgate. AFAIK all tailgates are the same. However, I've never removed the full-size tailgate panel to see what it looks like underneath. The panel itself DOES have 12 mounting pads, which I'm almost willing to bed coincides with what your tailgate has. I do have a tailgate at the shop with the full panel...I must might have to remove it so I can take a look. Anyway, here's a shot of the rear of the full-size panel:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Keith,...I wish I had a camera....and knew how to take pictures...and how to post them...

The one I got at the scrapyard had the smaller stainless Ford emblem,not like the Full size '71 and '72 XLT's...You can see the indentations from the inside of the tailgate because it's single wall there...You're right,it's where the twelve rivet holes are...It looks like at the factory they flat-punched around the rivets for whatever reason...They're certainly uniform,but it is definitely different than the tailgate w/o the trim...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
granitestate68

Post by granitestate68 »

Hi Joe,

Yes, the tailgates with the small trim insert do have the small flat punches around the rivet holes. That's what I ran into when I did mine. My truck isn't for show so I just had the rivet holes welded up and tried to make it look as good as we could. I'm going to try to attach a picture that might shed some light on what your talking about. I tried to put arrows to the area in questions. There are 12 holes going around the stamping.

Hope this helps.

Lee
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

There you go,Lee....Thanks...What do they say,...a pic paints a thousand words?....Like,yours,I think mine looks fine with the holes filled,but it still ends up looking 'different' than the ones that never had the trim....
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yes on the full Panel trim the 12 or so holes are there. They just don't have indentions. the indentions are from the impact of thr pop riveter. Kieth how does the trim look on your full pannel? Woodgrain Xlt Or black ranger?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com