Wipedown solvent/cleaner suggestions

Moderator: FORDification

Fordfool

Wipedown solvent/cleaner suggestions

Post by Fordfool »

Hey guys, I ordered my POR-15 on Saturday and forgot to get my marine clean so I was wondering what I could purchase at my local hardware/auto store to wipe my frame down after I blast in just in case there were grease or something left that I might have missed. Would acetone work for this or does it leave a residue? I will of course wipe it down with a cloth real well, but just want to make sure there is nothing left before I apply the metal ready. Thanks!

I am doing something somewhat different in that I am silver POR-15ing my frame, tranny, transfer case, springs, etc...and then I am also sterling silvering over that. I hope it turns out ok. I believe the body will be a darker purple with white somewhere thrown in. I am not a great color coordinateaur, just looks like something I would like.
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Wipedown solvent/cleaner suggestions

Post by jor »

That is a great looking truck. I look forward to seeing the final product. I would think acetone or any of the common pre-cleaners would be all you need. If you use acetone, make sure you wear good gloves; that stuff will suck every ounce of moisture from your skin.
jor
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

That is a nice truck. Keep posting pics.
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Wipedown solvent/cleaner suggestions

Post by 67F250CS »

That is going to be sweet. Yes acetone is fine. It dries virtually residue free and very quickly.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by SmokeyBear »

enamel reducer also works very well.
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT