351 windsor alternator belt, serpentine or vbelt?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

NUTNDUN

351 windsor alternator belt, serpentine or vbelt?

Post by NUTNDUN »

Hi gang,
Getting ready to finish the truck up and coming across last minute concerns. I have a 69 351 windsor with a csr electric water pump and the only thing I need to drive off of the belt is the alternator. I already have ribbed pulleys for a serpentine belt and I got an alternator bracket to mount the alternator off of the head. Can I get a serpentine belt short enough or am I going to need to switch to a vbelt? If I need to switch what can I get pulleys off of from the junk yard that would fit?
George
72 F100 SWB
398W stroker
NUTNDUN

Re: 351 windsor alternator belt, serpentine or vbelt?

Post by NUTNDUN »

The other question I have too is I have the alternator mounting bracket and tensioner from my old 302, could I just use that and switch to a regular water pump?
George
72 F100 SWB
398W stroker
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

path of least resistance would be to use the elec pump and old 302 v belt to drive alt--if u opt for the serp--mock it up --use string to get measurement --take string with to parts house for reference--and u could use the entire old 302 set up if u want :thup: :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

save the bull and use a v belt. also the newer water pump work backwards from the older oens so watch out for that when doing your workings.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

not all serpentines/flat belts used reverse rotation-- i have an early 302 set up--multi-belt that uses standard rotation--use that electric pump to salvage a few x-tra hp's :D :thup: :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
NUTNDUN

Post by NUTNDUN »

I figured I would post an update to my progress. I got the motor and tranny in the truck and after a lot of bad words got the headers and starter in place and this was even with the whole front clip of the truck removed LOL. I actually unbolted the electric water pump and went and got a mechanical water pump and it ended up being the wrong one for the timing cover. So I put the electric one back on. The summit alternator bracket I got won't work with the CSI electric water pump so I am going to have to get the moroso alternator bracket and it says in their directions that it will work with CSI pumps. I need to get a couple of push lock AN fittings so I can run the bypass off the water neck a little better and also for the heater hoses. I am guessing if 8AN works on 1/2" fuel line then 10AN will work with 5/8" water hose. My buddy double checked my clearances on the valves and my placement of the dizzy while I welded up the 3 1/2" exhaust (I didn't realize 3 1/2" pipe was that big and heavy LOL) once we were done my buddy had to get going and I wanted him there for when it was first fired since he has experience so we ran the wiring to the battery temporarily so we could make sure it would start and everything was right and only run it for about a minute since there wasn't any coolant yet.

So we get the wiring connected and I turn the key to the acc position to get the fuel pump primed and it started turning over. I don't know how the starter wire is getting juice at the acc position which I will have to check and find later, worse case scenerio I will put a starter button on it. We found a leak at the fuel pump and got the fitting tight. So now we were ready and turned her over and she fired off almost instantly and OMG does she sound good. The carb needs setup and I will post a video once I get the coolant hooked up and can run it longer then a minute. Even after running for approx a minute or so the heads and block were barely warm to the touch. The paint started cooking off the headers instantly. I can't wait to get the water going so I can hear it again.
George
72 F100 SWB
398W stroker