'71 F-250: Choke tube setup question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

nxne75

'71 F-250: Choke tube setup question

Post by nxne75 »

Hello all,

I've got a few questions regarding my '71 F-250 - truck's got the original 390 CID, C6 trans combo. When I bought the truck in Sept., I found two "lost" tubes resting on top of the intake manifold - almost as if someone had taken them out but forgot to put them back in. I've posted pictures of the two tubes with this posting so you can see what I'm referring to.

My question is: Are both of these tubes related to the automatic choke system? They sure look like it to me, but I'm still not totally familiar with the 390 so I'd like to be sure. I'm guessing that maybe one of the Mustang supply houses or my local auto parts store might sell a replacement for them?

Also, does anyone out there have a good picture of these installed on the engine? (like, say, without the air cleaner installed). I would guess that the tube with the insulation on it goes to the choke spring housing, but where does the other tube with the vacuum hose/metal tubing go to?

Any help appreciated,

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: '71 F-250: Choke tube setup question

Post by peanutman »

Both of those lines come off your passanger side manifold toward back. Top pic- line screws to your auto choke spring housing , bottom pic- line should have a rubber hose on the end that connects to the carb top just above and behind the auto choke spring housing. Mine 302 w/ autolite 2100 carb, 390 probobaly simular.

Both of those lines are bad about burning in-to at the manifold. I replaced mine w/copper lines and jb- welded back into holes at manifold. Be sure and clean holes at manifold before you replace. The line that goes to auto choke connects to manifold near a bolt that screws out and contains a screen, i could not get my bolt out to replace screen that is surley gone by now. Would shoot you some pics but im at work.

Someone should be along to help you out more, im sure choke will work better with the solid line hooked up, the other i think is a carb warmer :hmm: :2cents: :fr:
nxne75

Post by nxne75 »

Thanks for the info - actually, my engine doesn't seem to have the bolt with the screen that you're referring to....unless I'm blind and I just don't see it, but I checked pretty thoroughly. I cleaned out the remnants of both broken tubes from the exhaust manifold and will re-install the newly cleaned up (old) tubes tomorrow.
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

My solid choke heat tube was to short, thats why i went w/copper also easier to bend- not sure how it will hold up. I couldn't find those new or repo if you are someone else runs upon them let me know.
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

I replaced mine with copper too. They have held up for about 1 1/2 years, but that's only about 1500 miles.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/