Cam Upgrade Opinion's...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

freeline95

Cam Upgrade Opinion's...

Post by freeline95 »

I was just wondering how good of a cam do you guys think that this one is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HP-Stage ... enameZWDVW

I was wondering how much more horsepower and torque I would gain if i installed this in my 390.

Please let me know im not to good with this kind of stuff I just know how to rebuind and install new parts.

If anyone knows a really good cam that wouldnt be to much for my stock valves and springs let me know or a kit that includes new springs and all.
1969 Ford F-100 Custom Cab With A 390.
sgs

Re: Cam Upgrade Opinion's...

Post by sgs »

By reading the manufacturers description it seems like it would be a very streetable cam. 9.5 compression or less, that probably describes your truck. Power band between 1500 and 4500 sounds calm enough. use with slight modifications like dual exhaust and 4v carb, probably something you would want to do. Many people get into trouble by secing too much cam, not too little. This doesn't sound like it would be too much. Now to answer your question, there's not a single part that you can change on your engine that will give you gobs of power. Performance upgrades need to be done in groups in order to make big gains.

If you wanted to add performance with just one item, look at your rear end. Depending on tire size, a3.90, 4.11 or 4.30 ratio will give you lots of snap. You will sacrifice some gas mileage.

Life is a compromise.

sgs
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

My biggest problem with it is that the intake and exhaust durations are the same, you'll get better results on a Ford in most cases with a split pattern that has more exhaust duration and lift than intake. Loke ar Crains offerings. 343901, 343941 and 342801 are all popular choices. Change the last number to a 2 for a kit with lifters.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

I bought that cam under a different name for my 390. I bought mine from Hi-Tech and they called it a Reactor.

I have an S intake and a Holley 600 cfm carb. I also run a 3" single exhaust, a Magnaflow and Hedman Hedders.

The power brakes were not effected and in drive at a stop you can hear the little lope from the cam, it sounds really nice.

"Generally", cams with less than .500 lift don't require replacing the valve springs. With .484 you should be OK.

This is the descrition for the cam that I bought;

"Each cam within this series has been designed with short durations and very little overlap in comparison to its lift. This was done to increase cylinder pressure in low compression engines and correspondingly boost torque, gas mileage potential and throttle response. Peak torque is usually achieved between 2350 and 3350 rpm depending on exhaust systems, compression ratios and other modifications."

Ready for camping everything weighs 11,340 pounds. Towing I picked up 1 mpg and I now climb grades in high that before I had to drop into 2nd. At 65 mph I'm turning close to 2800-2900 rpm.

I am very pleased with the trucks performance, more pleased than people who drive a "Hemi". :wink: :thup:

:fr:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514