Clutch linkage came apart

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Danielg_84

Clutch linkage came apart

Post by Danielg_84 »

69 F100, 2wd, 3 on the tree, 300 straight 6.

Driving home about an hour ago, stopped at a long red light, so I put the truck in neutral and released the clutch. Light turned green, so I went to engage the clutch to shift into first, and pedal went all the way to the floor with no resistance, obviously leaving me unable to shift out of neutral.

Pushed it into a parking lot at a gas station with some bystander help. (I don't know any of the correct terminology here, and this is the first clutch issue I've had, so bear with me.) Got underneath, and there were clearly linkage bits missing between the arm coming down from the cab that connects back to the clutch pedal,, and the actual arm coming out of the transmission that connects directly to the clutch.

What are the actual names of these linkage parts that have apparently come of?

Are these parts something I could potentially find at a local auto parts store, or is this gonna be a job for Mac's?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Clutch linkage came apart

Post by eggman918 »

Start here for what it should look like http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... dals02.jpg
Don't think you will find ant of this at the local auto parts store :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Danielg_84

Post by Danielg_84 »

Oh man. Those exploded diagrams make my head hurt.

I'm pretty sure I'll need at least this:

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... table.html

And this:

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... 0-001.html

Now I have to figure out a way to get the truck back to the house while I wait on parts.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Can you start it in gear and limp it home?
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Danielg_84

Post by Danielg_84 »

That's exactly what I did. Down the feeder of a freeway in downtown Houston. Through 2 busy intersections. White effing knuckle.

Parts ordered with expedited shipping. Looks like I'll be a bus rider for the next 2 or 3 days.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Just a minor setback you'll be on the road in no time :thup:
Steve

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto. I brought my '68 ranchero home through DC rush hour traffic with no clutch from Norfolk. Old close ratio top loader was not happy after that adventure. On mine the Z bar bent where it ran close to the headers.

Post up some pics of what you have. I'm sure someone has a spare set floating around.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Danielg_84

Post by Danielg_84 »

eggman918 wrote:Just a minor setback you'll be on the road in no time :thup:
Exactly. Just waiting on the parts.

I'll take pics when I install them and post here.

Explaining to my wife that my "tough, hard to kill" truck was rendered a paperweight by a little rod and a spring falling off was interesting. Maybe that will help me justify funds for a future C6 swap.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I'd recommend learning how to shift without the clutch. If done at the right RPM's it's pretty painless. Basically pull it out of gear and as the revs drop slowly put pressure into the next gear. That's how I made it through rush hour in DC. Just knocked it out of gear when traffic slowed enough, then put it in gear and started the truck back up. I will admit that I was physically and emotionally exhausted when I got to my exit and walked the last two miles to my buddies house.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Danielg_84 wrote:
eggman918 wrote:Just a minor setback you'll be on the road in no time :thup:
Exactly. Just waiting on the parts.

I'll take pics when I install them and post here.

Explaining to my wife that my "tough, hard to kill" truck was rendered a paperweight by a little rod and a spring falling off was interesting. Maybe that will help me justify funds for a future C6 swap.
Good call.never let a crisis go to waste :wink:
Steve

3 Speed

Post by 3 Speed »

Danielg_84 wrote:That's exactly what I did. Down the feeder of a freeway in downtown Houston. Through 2 busy intersections. White effing knuckle.

Parts ordered with expedited shipping. Looks like I'll be a bus rider for the next 2 or 3 days.
I had to order the clutch rod for my 67 from a parts house in Brooklyn - only place that had it.

Good luck -- It is fun under there!
67 F101 Custom Cab longbed, 352 V8, 3 speed manual
Danielg_84

Post by Danielg_84 »

Got the part last week and installed it at night, so couldn't get any pics worth posting. Worked like a charm! In fact, the clutch pedal has a much cleaner feel to it now.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I've learned to put a tether wire on the linkage rod so if and when it falls out , it doesn't get lost.
And i also learned to shift without a clutch.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

cep62 wrote:I've learned to put a tether wire on the linkage rod so if and when it falls out , it doesn't get lost.
And i also learned to shift without a clutch.
Sounds like lessons from the school of hard knocks :thup:
Steve

cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

eggman918 wrote:Sounds like lessons from the school of hard knocks
Yeh, but it makes for an interesting driving experience.