1967 Fairlane 6 Cyclinder

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

dpanella

1967 Fairlane 6 Cyclinder

Post by dpanella »

I am getting my first older car to rebuild so yes a rookie with some good knowledge of mechanics being raise in the Motor City. I am looking to swap out the engine and replace with a 302. Will the original C4 transmission bolt up and work if I do this. I understand I may need a different bell housing and balancer but is that basically it? Are there any gothca's beside the engine part which I know needs mounts etc., I am not going to overkill on HP just want a nice weekend driver.

Thanks..
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 1967 Fairlane 6 Cyclinder

Post by tsherry »

I've done a similar swap in a '66 Falcon. Same unibody. I changed out a 6 cyl 3 speed for a 289 auto from a '66 Ranchero. I did have a 6 cyl C4, but couldn't get it to mate up. I used the Ranchero as the donor vehicle, that gave me all of the original parts I needed to make my '66 Falcon look stock.

With some further research, as I recall the 6 cyl trans was not compatible with the 289/302 on several fronts. The bellhousing was not compatible, but I think the internals on the 6 vs. the 8 were different. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I think you're going to need both the engine and the matching trans.

--You'll definitely need the fuel system hard line for the V8, from the carb down into the fenderwell--it's completely different.
--You'll need the accelerator linkage--6 cyl is different. Also you'll need the kickdown cable/linkage.
--Unsure if the 6 cyl column shift is different than the V8--I doubt it. Ditto on the charging system wiring harness.
--You'll need the V8 radiator and trans cooling lines if you're keeping it stock. Otherwise, aftermarket.
--You'll need the engine wiring harness (mates up to the body harness) if you're keeping it stock.
--Exhaust should not be a big deal
--If you have a 6 cyl power steering vehicle, you might need to change the steering linkage by lowering the power cylinder (I think I had to do this to clear the V8).
--Motor mounting brackets are completely different.
--Trans mount on my swap was completely different--my manual trans mount was too far forward to use with the V8 auto trans mount, and I had to fabricate my bracket.

On another topic, I've also rebuilt a 200-6 or five, and if you go to Clifford Performance, you can purchase enough hardware there to really wake up your six, up to beating or exceeding the stock 289 or 302. Just a matter of money at that point.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Sorry--Also forgot the front springs. 6 cyl springs are wholly inadequate for the V8. While you're that deep, replace upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, and upsize your front stabilizer bar. If your Fairlane has one, the stock 6 cyl stabilizer is as rigid as wet rope. Get a 7/8" or 1" from a Granada, or aftermarket with polyurethane bushings.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

dpanella wrote:I am getting my first older car to rebuild so yes a rookie with some good knowledge of mechanics being raise in the Motor City. I am looking to swap out the engine and replace with a 302. Will the original C4 transmission bolt up and work if I do this. I understand I may need a different bell housing and balancer but is that basically it? Are there any gothca's beside the engine part which I know needs mounts etc., I am not going to overkill on HP just want a nice weekend driver.

Thanks..
It depends on which 6 you have. The little 170/200's use a different bell housing pattern. The 250 uses a small block pattern. The frame mounts will need swapped out to a V8 setup from a '66-71 fairlane / torino. I have a complete 351w / C4 combo sitting at my friend farm from a '69 Torino GT. I kept the frame mounts on it when I pulled it.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.