Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Noisy Rear End

Post by colnago »

All,

I've been setting up to rebuild the rear hubs in my F250. A couple of weeks ago, I replaced the rear differential fluid. I used Mobil 1 75W90, which included friction modifiers for a limited-slip. I bought a bottle of the MotorCraft friction modifier, but since the Mobil 1 already had some, I didn't use the MotorCraft. Now I have two new sounds coming from somewhere in the rear: a chirping sound when I'm going ~20MPH (which stops if I either give it more throttle, or back off on the throttle), and a clunking sound that speeds up as I accelerate, then goes away once I get to ~10MPH.

I _thought_ the clunking sound was something in one of the hubs (probably on the driver's side), since it's not muffled. I'm thinking it is probably a broken spring for one of the brake shoes, but I'm not having any driving, grinding, rubbing, or dragging problems (it's just a metallic "clunk" that speeds up with the truck, then stops). There is nothing external that I can see that would be causing the clunk. The chirping could really be anything, but my first thought was U-joint or driveshaft support bearing.

Could either of these be coming from the rear differential instead? Even though the Mobil 1 had friction modifiers, should I go ahead and add the MotorCraft? Can a limited-slip differential have too much friction modifier? Should I drain the Mobil 1 and use something else?

Any pointers appreciated.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Noisy Rear End

Post by Busboy »

Rear end noise happens to all of us occasionally. :wink: :wink:
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.