hurculiners v.s rhino liner

Moderator: FORDification

hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: hurculiners v.s rhino liner

Post by hardtailjohn »

My oldest daughter used it on the inside of her cab, and it's some tough stuff!! She loves it because when the pickup gets really dirty, she just opens the doors and hoses it out! :lol:
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

Hurculiner is good stuff. Just need to make sure you prep the surface really good.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I did my bed, inside the cab, fender wells and firewall with Herculiner. It works well. Here's some photos of the cab.
jor

http://home.comcast.net/~oiga/67-8.html
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Nice pics Jor.

So would the herculiner be tougher than say doing the floor with POR-15?
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

So would the herculiner be tougher than say doing the floor with POR-15?
They're really different products. I've only used Por-15 on a small area but I know others here have used it extensively. I think if you are doing a real restoration, Por-15 or a similar product would be the way to go. I just kinda like the look of the Herculiner. If I ever get tired of the look, however, I'm in trouble. Let us know what direction you go.
jor
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Wow Jor that looks good.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I think the POR15 would be a slick surface...both good and bad... good to clean, bad to get traction on. The herculiner seems to clean ok, and it's sure nice for traction for your feet. Sierra's looks about like Jor's... I like it!
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

That does look good. Any problems with it or does it seem like a quality product? Thanks for the info. :)
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

I have been thinking about that stuff to. I am afraid I might regret it in the long run though. I really like the look of a fresh painted bed. The main thing I use my bed for is dirtbikes. So new paint would not get scrathed much. When I repaint my truck some day, I would proabably regret putting herculiner in, if I were to do it now.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I think You can get it to match your color.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
adam138

Post by adam138 »

I might use this in my 69 bed.Does it hold up as good as the Rhino Linings.I dont plan on using my truck for much work but just in case I have to I dont want a scratched up bed.Im just worried that it will chip or scratch off. Anyone know how tough it is?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Coating the entire underside of the body WOULD help dampen noise a lot, making it quieter in the cab. The biggest hurdle for that is going to be surface prep. You need to rough up the surface to give it something to bite into, it won't stick well to dirty or smooth surfaces....and with all the nooks and crannies on the underside, getting to all of them is going to be a tough job unless you remove them off the frame for complete access.

Products like Herculiner and Rhino Linings (and even POR-15) are only as good as the surface prep. Because these coatings are so tough, if there are spots were prep wasn't up to par and it starts to lose adhesion enough to allow moisture to get in under it, you wouldn't know it until the metal underneath was completely rusted away. However, done correctly, you'll need a jackhammer to remove them.

In short: this isn't a place to take shortcuts...take the time to prep the surface correctly and thoroughly, and the coatings are going to be extremely durable and long-lasting.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
71Ford

Post by 71Ford »

Oh....I'm afraid I'd not do an good enough job on the Prep. requirment you suggest.....so I guess I'll stick to black spray paint! :D
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-851

71 XLT RANGER ->203,000+MILES/NOT REBUILT

99 GMC 4x4 Suburban, 94 Saturn 200k, 03 Chev Venture
adam138

Post by adam138 »

So if done correctly I could tear down a rock wall and haul the debris and it wont chip with heavy rocks?
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: hurculiners v.s rhino liner

Post by OldBlue67 »

hardtailjohn wrote:My oldest daughter used it on the inside of her cab, and it's some tough stuff!! She loves it because when the pickup gets really dirty, she just opens the doors and hoses it out! :lol:
John H.
Yes! Thats awesome, its exactly what I'm planing on doing. I like the idea of being able to clean out my truck with a hose :lol: :lol:
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil: