New Clutch

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

New Clutch

Post by boots »

I just ordered a new clutch from jegs. I have a 67 f100 with 390..3pd that i put on the floor.. im not sure what kindof trans it is. Any guesses?

well how should i go about putting this clutch in on my garage floor, it is a 2wd, and has a 4" lift so i can get under it easier than a stock 67? Looks like 2 crossmembers are in the way so dropping the trans would be hard, only way i can think of is moving it backwards. Can you guys tell me what i should do, and any tips i can use to get this done without pulling my hair out. its my first time ever installing a clutch, my dad has before, but is real busy with work, so its all me.
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

If you're fairly stout you can pull one the front crossmember and drop the tranny out on your chest and kind of wiggle out from under it. I don't recommend it with out a little experience though. Key part is getting that pilot hole lined up good though. Buy the $2.00 alignment tool from the parts store and NEVER, EVER let that tranny hang by the input shaft.
Matt
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: New Clutch

Post by jor »

Try and get hold of a manual so you can get an idea of all that is involved. One person can do it without equipment but like Shrek said, it's pretty hard. Anyhow, here are three photos that show what everything looks like:
1. Pressure plate and clutch bolted onto flywheel;
2. Input shaft of a 4 speed;
3. Sliding the engine onto the input shaft.
Good luck and let us know. (Also, tell your dad to take some time off!)
jor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

Okay, it's been a while. I had a 67 2wd that was stock height and I could yank that 3 spd out in 45 minutes. But that didn't include removing the pilot bushing.

1. disconnect the battery
2. block the tire so the truck doesn't roll
3. disconnect the driveshaft from the tail of the tranny
4. use some duct tape and tape up the tail to minimize the skunk juice from spilling out.
5. disconnect the stick shift
6. disconnect the speedo cable
7. remove the bolts to the tranny mount and cross member
8. remove the four bolts from the tranny to bell housing.
9. you may have to disconnect the exhaust pipes if they're in the way
10. I use a floor jack to help lower the tranny. It's a bit tricky but I do it all the time. Jack up the jack towards the front of the tranny as that's the heavier end. Lift it high enough to take that cross member out.
11. Once that cross member is out, start to lower the jack a bit. Grab the tail of the tranny and wiggle it while pulling it out the same time. NOTE: I ALWAYS LAY IN A STRATEGIC AREA IN CASE THAT TRANNY SLIPS OFF THE JACK. I never plan to catch it if it does slip. The tranny should separate from the bell housing. You'll need to pull the jack back as the tranny moves back.
12. After the tranny is out, I had to roll it off the jack and drag the tranny out. Since you have a 4" lift you might be able to just pull the jack along with the tranny.
13. If I remember, you could remove the inspection cover to get to the flywheel. If not, then you'll need to remove the starter and bell housing.
14. I recommend that you get the flywheel surfaced. You'll need a flywheel holder or do like me and wedge a LARGE screwdriver to prevent the flywheel from turning.
15. remove all the bolts holding the pressure plate. You'll have to rotate the flywheel to get all those bolts. Be careful on the last two bolts because that pressure plate is heavy.
16. remove the flywheel bolts. Be careful, that flywheel is even heavier.
17. now for the fun part. You need to remove that pilot bushing. Several different methods. There's different types of pilot bearing pullers. You can also use "hydraulics". Can be messy, but it works.

Let me know if you have any questions or run into problems. Let me know if you have questions on installing.
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

Faithful has the plan pretty well covered. Lord knows I've done it enough times in my sleep to not even have to think what size wrenches I need:
1/2" for u-joints
5/8" for tranny and bellhousing bolts
7/16" for speedo cable(or maybe 3/8"?)
9/16" for center bolt in crossmember bolt
5/8" for crossmember frame bolts(I think, been along time since I had stock bolts in mine)
11/16" for flywheel bolts

A jack is recommended for getting tranny out. It's near 100 lbs that you need to hold and wiggle to remove and install. Not for the faint of heart. With your 4" lift using a jack might be hard to do.

Most clutch kits come with alignment tool anymore, use it. Then make sure to run fingers around plate to see if disc is even around the edge. The thing is, with the weight of disc, it will still tend to hang a bit when tightening the clutch plate........thus being off a bit(even WITH tool). Just make sure tool slides in/out real easy after you tighten clutch.

Ya, the pilot bushing may be a beech to do. I have my way, others have theirs. Renting a puller from Azone or such will make life easier.
Bump'n along.
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

wow thanks for the help!! I will be doing this job over the weekend and hopefully I dont have any mess ups. Ill post how it goes when its done. :D
Ethan

390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress

69 f100- Parts truck
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

I got it out today! I took the tranny out first , then the bell housing. Jegs sent me the wrong clutch, So im getting the correct one next week sometime. I am going to pull the engine this week also, give it some paint, replace oilpan/gasket and some other goodies :D
Ethan

390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress

69 f100- Parts truck
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

Glad to hear you got it handled. It will be easier to do on the ground, then stick it all in at once. No fighting to get input lined up while UNDER the truck!!
Bump'n along.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: New Clutch

Post by flyboy2610 »

boots wrote:I got it out today! I took the tranny out first , then the bell housing. Jegs sent me the wrong clutch, So im getting the correct one next week sometime. I am going to pull the engine this week also, give it some paint, replace oilpan/gasket and some other goodies :D
Yea, I have learned that these trucks had two different clutch styles in them: the 3 finger type and the diaphragm type. I believe they are interchangeable as an assembly, though.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

they sent me the diaphragm instead of the long style :lol: i even talked to a tech on the phone, he said i needed diaphragm
Ethan

390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress

69 f100- Parts truck
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

Ya, usually the diaphram bolts up differently then long style. If flywheel does not have both patterns, you won't get it to fit.

Now, with an aftermarket steel flywheel it would fit right on since they usually have both patterns.

FWIW, my '69 428 has had both type clutches in it(one Ram, the other is Centerforce Dual friction) and they both bolt right on.
Bump'n along.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: New Clutch

Post by willowbilly3 »

boots wrote:I got it out today! I took the tranny out first , then the bell housing. Jegs sent me the wrong clutch, So im getting the correct one next week sometime. I am going to pull the engine this week also, give it some paint, replace oilpan/gasket and some other goodies :D
Oh no!! it's started, this truck won't see sunshine for 2 years and $10,000 :lol: :lol:
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Yup, that's how it happens! :lol:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

i have decided not to pull the engine now lol. I knew if i did it would be in the garage for another 6 months.... I want to drive it!!!!
Ethan

390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress

69 f100- Parts truck
boots
Preferred User