Very Loud Ticking fe360....I'm baffled

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

seeonsilverscreen

Very Loud Ticking fe360....I'm baffled

Post by seeonsilverscreen »

I have a very loud ticking noise coming from my motor and am baffled as to it's source....otherwise truck runs great. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Here's a link to the video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4WB899HpXuXnRJqF9

Thanks
DuckRyder

Re: Very Loud Ticking fe360....I'm baffled

Post by DuckRyder »

Based on laptop speakers which probably are not the best to listen on, I’d say you have lost a lifter or rocker arm, probably on the right (passenger) side.

It is possible it is an exhaust leak but sounds too metallic...

I would use either a mechanic stethoscope or a long screwdriver/pry bar (you can touch this to a component and put your ear on the handle and it will amplify any sound) to listen and try to pinpoint the sound.

You can also remove the belts to eliminate the water pump and alt (don’t run it but a minute or two) and feel around the exhaust manifolds for escaping exhaust (careful it goes without saying the manifolds and exhaust pipes are hot).

I see valve covers coming off in your future though, and I would not run the motor with that noise past maybe a few minutes diagnosis time. Once you get the valve covers off look for broken springs, cracked / broken / bent pushrods or rockers/shafts. If the top end looks ok, time to get the intake off...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
seeonsilverscreen

I have used the rubber hose stethoscope and still can't quite narrow its location down. And it only seems to happen after I run the motor to operating temp and after I shut her down within 5 minutes of a restart it will start the knocking. Will take those valve covers off next and keep looking..Will post back with results
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Try the fuel pump too...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:yt: Had that happen to me. Ticking drove me nuts. Used a stick as a stethoscope and found it when I touched the fuel pump. Surprised me. All these years and I didn't know a fuel pump would cause a ticking sound.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

Being that it runs fine otherwise, I am inclined to doubt that it’s valvetrain related. To be sure though, can you put a vacuum gauge on it and see what the story is there?

Also, is it a manual or auto? Something could be loose and touching something on or around the flywheel :hmm:

Fuel pump is definitely a possibility as well, or possibly the pump eccentric on the cam. Easy to remove and inspect so I would probably start there, since you can inspect that without running the engine.
Last edited by sparky72 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
seeonsilverscreen

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.....I'm diving in first thing in the morning.....will let you guys know what I discover..
Johnnewc

Post by Johnnewc »

My brother's 390 made about the same sound. We pulled the valve covers off and saw a couple rocker arms not moving. It turned out that the engine had a couple broken lifters. They were replaced and then the engine purred like a tom cat in a creamery.
seeonsilverscreen

So folks,

First of all thank you to everyone that offered their insight. Here is what I discovered.

I took my valve covers off and my rocker arms, springs and lifters were all fine and oiling well

I could hear the tapping, clicking coming from the first spring on number (5) cylinder front of motor driver's side.

Push rod was fine.

Turns out that what I had was a STUCK VALVE that wasn't opening and my push rod was hitting the valve stem instead of working in unison with it. After getting that valve unstuck with some "valve quiet" from NAPA

She Sounds like Her old self again...1969 Camper Special, fe360, no P/S , no P/B, Tripple Gas Tanks, 1 Behind seat, 2 Saddle tanks, Lunar Green, Wimbledon White. 32,000 original miles

Thanks
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

Weird! Glad you got it figured out :thup:
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60