Anyone have headers on C6AE-R heads?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sparky72

Anyone have headers on C6AE-R heads?

Post by sparky72 »

Hi all!

I'm almost done with my engine build, and I'm looking at some headers to get in the near future (I will be running the original logs with a cheapo glasspack for the time being while I save up some more dough for proper exhaust). I've been scratching my head about this for a while because it's sort of unique, though. I have C6AE-R heads on the engine now, which of course have a different exhaust port location than C8AE heads that seem to have been ubiquitous on trucks from 68 or so through 72. Here are the dimensions of my exhaust ports:

It seems like most headers that are marketed as being "67-72 truck headers" are sized for the C8AE exhaust port pattern. I contacted Sanderson on their website and asked if their FF427 headers would fit the C6AE-R heads and they said "Yes," but I'm not entirely sure I believe them.

I know Stan's can make some that fit, but they are BIG bucks (something like $1100 bucks coated) and if the Sandersons or something similar would fit, I would rather use those :D .

FYI, FPA doesn't offer truck headers anymore, apparently - I emailed them and they said they only do car headers now.

Anyone have experience with this issue?
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
corniglio

Re: Anyone have headers on C6AE-R heads?

Post by corniglio »

im glad you asked sparky72 because im in the same boat as you. im hoping someone has some answers.
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

FYI, the FF427 headers will fit C6AE-R heads :thup: The port sizes on the headers are large enough to encompass the exhaust port, regardless of where it's situated or how tall it is (assuming no one has ported them out before).

Here's a photo of the header port, with 10" used as the zero at the roof of the port:

And here's another, with 10" as the zero at the top of the uppermost flange bolt:

And here are a couple of shots of the headers installed 8)

Don't worry, I reorganized the plug wires :wink:

Hope this helps folks in the future!
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

The C6AE-R is a unique head, if unmodified, it has a slight lip which makes the roof like a C8AE-H (low) and the floor like a CJ/early head (high), that is the single head that will work with either header design.

Your rubbing looks unmodified, so any header should work fine. However, as any header, chase all the threads, and lube the threads with anti-seize, then tighten evenly and thoroughly. Like you would a head gasket.

After all are tight, fire the engine, get warm, and with gloves and long sleeves, tighten them again, you'll be done for decades...
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs