Fuel starvation?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Little boy blue

Fuel starvation?

Post by Little boy blue »

Hi there, first post from across the pond! I bought a 1971 F100 with a 390 motor a couple of years ago and have been slowly bringing it back to life, it has however just started to have a new fault where when it gets warm the engine dies, if i leave it about 10 minutes it will re-start but will just cut out more frequently until i get home-not ideal over here in the UK with its narrow roads. Since it started doing this i have replaced the carburettor, fuel pump with of course new hoses plus a new fuel cap (it does vent) yet is still cutting out. I have come to the conclusion that the fuel line is the cause because the clear filter goes empty and i noticed the last time the fuel line had collapsed on the feed line to the fuel pump! Any ideas would be most gratefully accepted.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Fuel starvation?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Does it only do it when it's warmed all the way up and how warm out is it when this happens? Asking because one of the problems i had after I got my '68 with the 360 if it was warm outside it would have hot start issues....I fixed that problem with a 1 inch phenolic spacer under the carb and haven't had an issue since.......also another similar problem showed up when I found my vented gas cap wasn't venting right - I pulled the plastic piece out of the center of the gas cap and it solved that problem.......I have had problems with aftermarket gas caps in the past so if possible look for a used or new old stock original cap.....I'm sure there will be others here that will have more ideas to help you with....... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Could it be your COIL is going bad?
Driving 10 minutes or so, coil is heating up, engine cuts out for lack of sufficient spark.
Those are the symptoms of a bad coil.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

:yt: It could be a bad coil.

You did say that your fuel filter goes empty? Is the filter between the pump and the carb or is it before the pump? Have you tried running without the fuel cap for 15 minutes or so to see if it cuts out? You could also try removing the line from the tank at the pump, remove the cap and see if you can blow air back through the line to the tank. If the line is not clogged you should hear it bubbling in the tank.

Be careful though, if the tank is behind the seat it is higher than the pump. Sometimes, especially if there is a lot of fuel in the tank, it will siphon as soon as you remove the line, giving you a shower. Don't ask me how I know this. :lol:
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

jzjames wrote:Could it be your COIL is going bad?
Driving 10 minutes or so, coil is heating up, engine cuts out for lack of sufficient spark.
Those are the symptoms of a bad coil.
Or the resistor wire.

But if it is fuel , there could be something plugging the inlet inside the tank?