Smokie highboy

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mdbaker42

Smokie highboy

Post by mdbaker42 »

I’ve got a problem and I’m hoping that I’ll get right with the world here. So, some project background.1970 f-250, 4x4,360,4 speed 90,000 original miles. New top end, new edelbrock AVS2 4 barrel auto choke and edelbrock manifold. New Hedman headers,new double roller timing chain set and a new high volume oil pump. Whew... Anyway, hear’s my problem. I’m blowing smoke out my tailpipes. After checking my plugs for sign, #2 and #7 are a little oily. Also, I’m chasing down an exhaust leak at the header/head location, both banks and noticed a lot of soot. Whew... So, hears my questions. To much carb. ? To much oil? Any and all advice is welcome. I didn’t do the whole rebuild because it had great compression results. Oh,by the way, it never smoked before. Thanks.
GPatrick

Re: Smokie highboy

Post by GPatrick »

I had similar symptoms when my FE intake manifold didn't seal properly. It would pull oil in at the intake gasket. In my case it was poorly machined heads that didn't let the manifold sit true - often just a few cylinders would leak. The other possibility is that with a high volume pump you might be filling the top the heads with oil and the return holes can't drain it fast enough. That might to tend to affect cylinders 4 and 8 more than others so I suspect the intake gasket is a more likely culprit. There is not real good way to test the gasket sealing. I ended up pulling the rocker shafts and using a lifting plate to seal the carb flange. I applied a small amount of pressure and could hear the air leak at the gasket since all the intake valves were closed. If you do determine it is the intake gasket, check the machining on the intake carefully to make sure it has the same angles as the head flanges. If the heads have been machined in the past, the intake might be too wide to fit without machining. Also, if you used the end gaskets and/or did not remove dowel pin (not all FE's have one from what I read), the intake may not have been able to pull down all the way.
Gary
Littleton, CO
mdbaker42

Re: Smokie highboy

Post by mdbaker42 »

Thanks Gary. I’ll let you know.