Options for a very worn engine?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

brkdncr

Options for a very worn engine?

Post by brkdncr »

69 f250, 390, C8AE-H heads, no a/c.

Looking for some budget-friendly options. I'm on the west coast but the truck is out in the desert (San Bernardino, near Joshua Tree). There are some machine shops around but I'm not sure of their quality. My goal is to have a reliable engine. The only performance modes I'm looking at is the intake manifold and possibly EFI if the stock 2bbl carb needs any work. Should i send the heads and block off to the local machine shop? Should i have something shipped to me? Is there a decent FE rebuilder in the area?

I suspect that pulling the engine and transferring the bolt-on components isn't a lot of work. I have tools and workshop space.

Here's how my testing today went that lead me to believe a full rebuild is needed:

1) started it up, it wouldn't run without throttle, and it rocked a lot.
2) Pulled the plugs, they were oily.
3) Compression test resulted in two under 90, the rest were 105-115.
4) leakdown test showed some awful numbers, 1 was 100/75, 2-4 were under 40. It was pretty bad so i didn't test the other bank. I couldn't figure out where the air was going.
DuckRyder

Re: Options for a very worn engine?

Post by DuckRyder »

Seek out some local recommendations for the machine shop.

Depending on condition when you get it apart dictates what you do next.I’ll say if the heads need very much, you’ll be ahead of the game to go with a new head, Edelbrock and Twisted Wedge make readily available versions.

I wouldn’t go for a parts store special rebuild, no telling what you will get...

Robroy detailed his experience with engines...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

:yt:
X 2 on a local engine builder, if there is a problem it's much easier to settle.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Depending on your expected needs I'd just find another used engine from C-list and plop it in. I just don't see any value in building a new one for limited stockish duty. Take your leakdown tested and check some victims before plopping down the cash for them.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Fordinblue20

Post by Fordinblue20 »

brkdncr wrote:69 f250, 390, C8AE-H heads, no a/c.

Looking for some budget-friendly options. I'm on the west coast but the truck is out in the desert (San Bernardino, near Joshua Tree). There are some machine shops around but I'm not sure of their quality. My goal is to have a reliable engine. The only performance modes I'm looking at is the intake manifold and possibly EFI if the stock 2bbl carb needs any work. Should i send the heads and block off to the local machine shop? Should i have something shipped to me? Is there a decent FE rebuilder in the area?

I suspect that pulling the engine and transferring the bolt-on components isn't a lot of work. I have tools and workshop space.

Here's how my testing today went that lead me to believe a full rebuild is needed:

1) started it up, it wouldn't run without throttle, and it rocked a lot.
2) Pulled the plugs, they were oily.
3) Compression test resulted in two under 90, the rest were 105-115.
4) leakdown test showed some awful numbers, 1 was 100/75, 2-4 were under 40. It was pretty bad so i didn't test the other bank. I couldn't figure out where the air was going.
I would try Craigslist man.. sometimes you can find a pretty decent engine cheap. Definitely depends on how hard you plan to work the truck. I wouldn’t trust any Craigslist engine if you plan on working it hard. I am in the same boat as you right now.. my 360 FE is really beat up.. you should see all the black caked up oil carbon deposits under the valve covers.
Ren

Post by Ren »

A few years ago, a friend of mine got a re-manufactured 390 Maabco engine on ebay. He is still happy with it.

I know what yer trying to do. Trying to get the most for the least. I'm guilty all day long of that sort of thing. But I am also very aware of my limitations.

Unless you are very knowledgeable, practiced, skilled, and connected (car friends) with making worn out engines work well again for a minimum amount of money, you will likely end up wasting time and money that would've been better spent by simply doing things the right (expensive) way the first time.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

Is this an engine that has been sitting for awhile?
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
brkdncr

Post by brkdncr »

1972hiboy wrote:Is this an engine that has been sitting for awhile?
No. It’s doing a lot of sitting right now but I can usually get it started without too much fuss. It will shake pretty bad until one of the plugs clears an oil foul.
brkdncr

Post by brkdncr »

Ren wrote:A few years ago, a friend of mine got a re-manufactured 390 Maabco engine on ebay. He is still happy with it.

I know what yer trying to do. Trying to get the most for the least. I'm guilty all day long of that sort of thing. But I am also very aware of my limitations.

Unless you are very knowledgeable, practiced, skilled, and connected (car friends) with making worn out engines work well again for a minimum amount of money, you will likely end up wasting time and money that would've been better spent by simply doing things the right (expensive) way the first time.
Is the expensive route a $10k crate monster engine? Or something from Summit?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Did you track down RobRoys old threads?

There are a number of FE builders, they aren’t all mainstream but there are plenty if you hit the FE forums... RobRoy had his built by FE Specialties I believe.

You really have to get into it and see how bad it is and what you need to build it... (I’m assuming you’re able and willing to do the work) who knows you might get into it and find out the rings are just stuck and a re-rering, ball hone/ridge ream and some bearings fix it... on the other hand you may find a pin retainer came out and you’re looking for a block...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper