Park Gear Not Catching

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

xand17

Park Gear Not Catching

Post by xand17 »

Need help Ford F250 1968 360 and transmission ID number from stamped body is RFC8AP7006D. Truck when in park wont catch the park Gear. I hear what sounds like a tick, like its trying to catch the gear. It use to catch the gear just fine. Is there an adjustment i can make> attached is photo of trans id stamp

[image]618[/image]
Ford 1968 F250
360 CID
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Park Gear Not Catching

Post by cep62 »

The rod coming from the column should have a long slot for adjustment.
Be careful crawling under your truck Block the wheels.
Sagging cab mounts cane cause adjustment to change.
xand17

Post by xand17 »

Found this :?
[image]619[/image]
[image]620[/image]
[image]621[/image]
[image]622[/image]
Found this to be the possible cause. its loose comes out on its own when i pull it, no attached to anything either on outside..
Any One know what this is and what it does? Also, how long to fix his 1-2 hours, 2-3 for a mechanic who knows what they are doing.
Ford 1968 F250
360 CID
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

That is your kick down lever / passing gear .
It's been a long time since I've been inside a C6 so I don't want to steer you wrong, but I believe it should have a retainer
to hold it in place , and then attaches to your valve body.

The other lever is what selects your gears, you can move it and see if you can engage park.

Otherwise you might have to find a local " old timer" mechanic to look at it.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Late 60's through the 70's ATs had a bit of an issue with the column adjustment.
One problem was the column may appear to be in PARK and allow you to start the engine(NSS on column), but the linkage would be a bit sloppy and not be in Park gear proper. Many a Ford while warming up would pop into reverse and tear ass out the driveway. I would suggest that you make sure your parking brake is working correctly and use it.
Later model C4s and C6s moved the NSS to the transmission itself rather than on the column.

If the parking pawl is worn or broken, it will click and not properly engage, also if the spring is broken it will no longer force the pawl into the parking gear so it will pop out.

Parking pawls are just an added safety feature when working correctly. Do not rely on it to keep your vehicle from rolling, on a hill or with a decent push the pawl will pop out of place and the vehicle will roll. Always make sure your parking brake/emergency brake is properly adjusted and functional.
-Michael