Rust Encapsulator vs. POR-15

Moderator: FORDification

72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Rust Encapsulator vs. POR-15

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I found an interesting article on another rust preventative tonight, Comparing an Eastwood product against our Favorite, POR-15.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... SubCat=852
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Rust Encapsulator vs. POR-15

Post by trukcrazy »

John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I'm going to have to say that this guy is a real dandy! He mixes it wrong, then cries because it wont cure as fast as the can says, and it solvent pops on him... what a dufus! :eek: What does he base his "it didn't look thin enough to spray to me" opinion on? Is he an expert on POR15? Did heh do the research as to application technique when that product was brought forth??
I agree with alot of what he says, in that it's nice not to have to topcoat something to protect it from UV rays, but I do think he really skewed the test. I was a tech-rep for the polyurethane that we manufactured (as well as the other paint products) and ran into these guys all the time. Their "tests" are about 90% ok, but they think they know more than the people that manufacture the product when it comes to mixing and applying... :x Do they think these ratios and procedures just come out of thin air and are chosen at random??? :hmm:
I'm sure that Eastwood's product is great...they seem to handle quality stuff... but this test showed me very little. The guy needs some schooling in my opinion. The sad part is that most people wont pay any attention to the fact that he went against what the manufacturer instructed on one product, and will just figure he's a real "ace".
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

HJT- i agree- kinda like the guy that removed the pilot seat in a cessna to install photo equipment(against all advice)- crashed- then sued the mfg. :hmm: -jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Well, I did some more asking around and nobody around here has ever had any solvent popping problems... so in my mind, that would kinda make ya wonder about this guy to start with... what's he expect when he doubles the quantity of solvent in the mix? I've sure never heard Keith say anything about it popping..
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I've used it a lot, and I've never had that problem....of course, I just use it as-is straight out of the can, no diluting. I HAVE heard there might be some problems if you attempt to do a color coat on top of the POR-15 too soon, before it's good and tacky...and if the initial color coat is too thick on the tacky POR-15. A thin layer or two of topcoat is all you need until it dries completely. Additional topcoat layers can be applied after everything had dried.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!