por 15 competition

Moderator: FORDification

oldfordnut

por 15 competition

Post by oldfordnut »

ok i went up to the local performace shop looking at prices for all my stuff and i started in the paint section and thought maybe they would have sold por15 but they did not he said we have this stuff called chassis saver said its practically the same thing as por 15 thick and nasty and you apply right on the rust..... but you cant always believe them people at the shops because they do not always care about the customer just the money........ does anyone know how this stuff works or should i just buy the por 15 the chassis saver is 75 $ per gallon i don't know how that price is compared to por15
BigBlue1971

re: por 15 competition

Post by BigBlue1971 »

I haven't used "Chassis Saver" but I can tell you that a gallon of POR-15 will run you about $100-$125 depending on where you buy it. POR-15 isn't UV resistant so you will have to topcoat it if you plan to expose it to the sun. The topcoat that POR-15 sells will run about $100-$125 a gallon also.
"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordian."
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

Por15 seems to be the most popular stuff to use around here but just for the sake of considering other options take a look at:
http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Auto ... motive.htm
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
BigBlue1971

Post by BigBlue1971 »

Just so you know, I painted my frame this weekend with POR-15 and a quart was more than enough. I wouldn't buy a gallon because after the seal is broken it won't sit on a shelf very long.
"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordian."
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

You don't have to use Por-15's top coat. Just usde your favorite spray paint, but be sure to use it while the Por is still tacky, cause after it dries the paint won't stick to it. Then you can use Por's tie coat to get paint to stick, if you need to.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

I have top coated POR15 with Epoxy primer after the POR15 had dried...but I did scuff it with a scotchbrite pad....it has been almost 2 years and hasn't gone anywhere...
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Re: re: por 15 competition

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

Sharkdance wrote:Por15 seems to be the most popular stuff to use around here but just for the sake of considering other options take a look at:
http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Auto ... motive.htm
I think I might try that stuff. Cheaper is better for me anyways, and I sure aint building a show truck!
If it ever decides to stop raining or threatening to rain here, I might get a change to use it!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

SD- thanks for the rustbullet link- anything that'll go on over rust is just what i need(that's a scout in the ad) :D jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

RE: The Rust Bullet

I got some and tried it. I realy like that stuff.
I got the six-pack.
Started out just brushing it in the drip rail of my doner cab, inside and underside as well.
Then pored some directly from the can into my touch-up spray gun and sprayed the door jams and underside of the roof. Two coats.
Used what was left over to spray inside the door pillars and inside cab corners after cleaning them out real good. Even sprayed it in thru the hole to coat the inside cavity of the cab mounts. Turned out pretty good and cleaned up easy with Acitone.
Im gonna get some more, gonna do the inside of my fenders and underside of my hood too.
If you use it right it coats well, and dries nice and hard as a rock.
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

More pix of the Rust Bullet treatment I gave my doner cab:
Sharkdance
70 F250 2WD 360/C6