Should POR-15 be thinned?

Moderator: FORDification

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one of the first things i would do is read the ingredients of the thinner they sold you. if that is on the can . then i would check to see what else is made the same. as far as the mix doesn't the instruction say what the mix should be?
Last edited by fordman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

You can email them. They respond quickly, but it is already the weekend. They are closed.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I would strongly advise you not to spray the actual POR 15. The Blackcote works O.K. either way.

If you do chose to spray, it will need to be thinned, and be sure not to exceed the 20% maximum they specify.

Its extremely tricky to get the ratio right so that it sprays O.K. and dries properly.

I know it seems contrary to logic, but if you brush it on something like a frame, it will lay out smoothly if you apply it according to their instructions. Spend just enough on brushes to ensure the bristles don't fall out in the stuff.

Good Luck
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
BigBlue1971

Post by BigBlue1971 »

Well I took the advice of DuckRyder and painted it with a brush. I ruined 4 brushes but it went pretty well. Thanks for the help.
"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordian."
Fordfool

re: Should POR-15 be thinned?

Post by Fordfool »

Whoah glad you didn't spray this stuff on! Painting is the way to go. I used foam throw away brushes on mine. I also cannot imagine thinning it. This stuff goes forever it seems. I bought 4 quarts to use and I have painted my whole frame and only used a little over a quart. That is with kicking the can over and spilling about a pint on the floor :lol: I have used 8 spray cans of semi-flat black Krylon though. Man, it looks great!
My Gallery

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe
BigBlue1971

Post by BigBlue1971 »

I was able to paint the whole frame with about a half quart. I hope that the stuff keeps for a few months so I can use the rest on my axles and suspension.

I got some on my hands and you're right, it doesn't come out! Oh well, battle scars!
"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordian."
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Should POR-15 be thinned?

Post by 460 crew »

I sprayed my frame with no problems whatsoever along with the engine with a coat then sprayed their engine enamel too. Like stated above it needs to be thinned out just a bit to spray correctly. Just make sure you have proper ventilation and dressed with all your skin covered,and everything ready to clean up.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

THe foam brushes work great!