Tranny Goo.... Help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

ibme

Tranny Goo.... Help

Post by ibme »

Howdy...
I would like to ask you Ford truck Guru's a question... If you have the answer GREAT!! If not that's ok also. I have a 1972 F250 with a 4 spead manual trany. 1st gear is real low so i'm guessing it's a granny gear. Anyway, My problem satrted when I pulled the rubber mat out of the floor board for replacement. Around the shifter there is a what looks like gear oil that has gushed up and leaked over onto the floor boards on both sides. Does anybody have any idea where the oil might be leaking from? I craweld under and noticed that most of the tranny is covered in gear oil and some of it is on the underside of the truck as well. I will try to post some pictures of what i'm talking about...
Thanks again..
Marc
ibme@copper.net
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

i think thats just the tar stuff that they use to seal around the access panel.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
ibme

Post by ibme »

Really?? That would be cool... Thought I might have some sort of big leak problem. I didn't know they used tar to seal that area up, anyway I'm doin up the inside and it's all gettin cleaned up.
Thanks..
Marc
ibme@copper.net
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Tranny Goo.... Help

Post by FORDification »

Is it oily or does it have more of a 'Play-Doh' consistency? Those pictures look to me like it's more oily, since it appears to have been running down the sides of the tranny tunnel. If it's oily, then you do have a problem. Does it appear to be coming out anywhere else around the sides of the transmission, or just the top? I believe the transmission should have a breather on top, you might want to check and make sure that's still there and not plugged. (If it's plugged the tranny will build up pressure which will exit in wierd places.)

Otherwise I guess I'd suggest pulling the tranny cover and cleaning the top of the transmission really well, and then going out for a drive so you can watch to try seeing where it's leaking.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
ibme

Post by ibme »

Hi Keith.
Thanks for responding... It is oily, kinda alike thick, almost like old gear oil with out that nasty smell. On the underside of tranmission it looks like that thick oily stuff is all over it. It's also on the underside of the truck it self, like over the years it has splattered up there. I plan on pulling the cover anyway (doing a little interior work) to see what's up. I will look for that breather your talkin about. Oh.. I guess I didn't mention that it shifts fine! and have no problems with it (YET).
Thanks..
Marc
ibme@copper.net
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Is your rear tranny seal leaking? Isnt that right under that area youre talking about. If so its real easy to replace the tranny rear seal.