How do I fix this leak?

Moderator: FORDification

72f100

How do I fix this leak?

Post by 72f100 »

I just recieved my carpet from JC Whitney :D , but before I put that in, I have a problem I've got to fix :( . When water gets into the "grating" beneath the window (where the windshield wipers are), water leaks into the cab. I can look in there and see that it is full of leaves and other junk, but I don't know how to get inside of there to clean it out and see if I can find where the leak is. What do I do? If I find the leak, how do I seal it?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qman

Post by qman »

I don't know if this will help but I'll offer it up anyway. There are some seals around the windshield wipers that are supposed to keep water out of the cab. Originally they were made of leather and will eventually dry rot. This happened to my neighbor. He just took and old one and cut out some new leather but before installing them he gooed them up real good with silicone. They're on the inside under the dash.
72 F100 2wd 360 C6 Custom w/factory PS.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: How do I fix this leak?

Post by dotcentral »

Another way is to remove your floor vents and vacuum them out with a shop vac. The driver's side vent requires you unbolt the parking brake assembly and pull it to the side to reach all the screws. 2 bolts are on the bottom lip of the dash and 2 are on the firewall below the master cylinder.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

is it dripping from under the dash or is it leaking out around the bottom of the kick panel. that would be the two places i would look first. also ford had a problem with the winshield leaking on the drivers side top. maybe its running around the windshield and down.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

To find out for sure just head to the local car wash with a friend, and have them spray the nozzle down into the vent area while you're under the dash with a flashlight watching for drips.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

:yt:

Mine leaks on the passenger side but it's coming in through the front glass seal. I'd make sure that the water is coming from where you think it is first.
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
72f100

Post by 72f100 »

I had my dad run the hose into the vent and that is when it started leaking. The window seal appears to be ok. I'll try it again and watch carefully under the dash with a flashlight to see if I can find exactly where it is coming from. Thanks!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

mine needs new seals around the wipers and new windshiels gasket and windshield.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
72f100

Post by 72f100 »

After running more "tests", I've discovereed that the vents are clogged with so much leaf decomposition and other junk, that water backs up and starts leaking/pouring in through the air vents! Anyway, I can't seem to find a good way to clean the leaves out so I figure sometime this weekend I'll grab a plumbing snake and see what that will do for me. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Matt
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

on the kick panels are panels that can be removed. with phillip head screws i think. and you can clean them out from there. i've done it.
72f100

Post by 72f100 »

fordman, are the screws on the inside or outside?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You can also pull the 3 rubber plugs from the firewall to clean...

Trouble is I don't remeber if you can get to the side ones with the fenders on...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the screws are on the inside of my truck i just took the vent panels off.
72f100

Post by 72f100 »

Thanks guys for all of the help. I dug a couple of POUNDS of leaf material from my vents and sealed a leaky windshield wiper. No leaks! Now, on to carpet installation! (See thread in Interior forum)

Thanks again,
Matt