Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250

Post by Heirloom »

pincheweddo wrote:
Hang on there Loomy! You showed me the seam on the bed not all this other stuff. Yea you defiantly need some different attention on these other areas. Whew! Your photo's make me feel fortunate for what I have. Speaking of what I have here in TX are the locations of many cabs that are in better shape than this. There is a yard south of here with at least 4 or 5 not to mention the extra on my driveway. :wink:

Yeah, I cut my way into cab after posting the bed stuff. I wanted to see how bad it really was. Oh well. This truck was never meant to be a mantle piece, a full resto or a show truck. Just a clean work truck. And It will serve out the rest of it's days doing just that. I have enough to work with to make it live a lot longer and look pretty good. Maybe when/if life allows me I will be able to build a real show stopper. Until then I'm doing what I can.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by chad67 »

Reading about you porting your heads brought back some memories-black boogers and rust stains in the bathtub! I ported the ones for my 'bird and ran 'em for a while. Thanks to a bad thermostat and a 100 degree day, I had to pull 'em off to change a head gasket so I decided to have .040 taken off to bump the compression. The machine shop called me to ask where I had gotten the heads. Nervous-I asked why. Someone spent alot of money having these heads worked and ceramic coated, he said. I just laughed. No ceramic coating, I told him, I did them myself in my driveway. Silence-then, you're @%*# me! Some of the best work being done is by someone with more ambition than money.
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
pincheweddo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by pincheweddo »

Wait till you see mine when it's done. I had a show car once. 1970 Monte Carlo SS454. Won my division 1989 at the Super Chevy Sunday at the Texas Motorplex in Ennis. Wiped on that damn thing more than I drove it. My theory is now: "Drive it and enjoy the ride, scratches are just proof you do." So yea, my will be driven daily and I don't give a flip unless it is for comfort or reliability.
See project updates at:
http://1967f100.blogspot.com
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I got my heads back yesterday! :woohoo:

Next update coming real soon. I'm mocking, masking & painting. Theme reveal coming up!

~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

pincheweddo wrote:Wait till you see mine when it's done. I had a show car once. 1970 Monte Carlo SS454. Won my division 1989 at the Super Chevy Sunday at the Texas Motorplex in Ennis. Wiped on that damn thing more than I drove it. My theory is now: "Drive it and enjoy the ride, scratches are just proof you do." So yea, my will be driven daily and I don't give a flip unless it is for comfort or reliability.
I can't wait to see yours (truck that is)! Any pics of the SS?
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - F is for Freedom!

Post by Heirloom »

Call me crazy, but I always wanted to do a Red, White & Blue themed vehicle. I love this great Country of ours, as misguided as it may be at the moment. I was born in 1976, the Bicentennial year. Plus, what other color scheme will make those red/blue Earl's fitting actually look good? :lol: Seriously, to me they only look 1/2 good in most engine bays because they can only 1/2 match....sort of....most of the time.

A personal freedom tie in for me is freedom from California SMOG BS. :hw: :cuss:

So, with that I give you my Freedom 250. The body paint will reflect the Overhaulin/Foose designed 67, with blue on top, white on bottom and red on the bump. I will steal Foose's 'chevron' break up of the red line at the back of the bed. Except where he went black on the chevrons, mine will be white. Silver or some charcoal pin striping will break up the color transitions. I actually came up with it on my own trying to incorporate the 3 colors, then went looking for other 3 tone schemes. I think there are 1 or 2 other members here that have similar paint. The chassis, suspension, brakes....everything, will all be red.

Interior I want to go with buckets. I have back issues and riding a bench sucks, buckets keep you in place better. I'm going to build and upholster a console on my own. I will incorporate a shifter into the console. I have already nearly finalized my CAD rendition to help me visualize.It is drawn to rough actual size. The box on the floor and some other things just represent key measurement/fit points in the cab. I'm still working on and refining it.

I have been hard at work masking, mocking up, trimming, cleaning and painting. Everything gets primered, 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear. I'm using Dupli-color 500 degree because I wasn't pleased with the VHT colors. They just didn't look quite right. This is a mock up pic for ya'll. I need to get a new oil pan, timing cover, air cleaner and valve covers still, as well as assemble, measure & buy push rods and get new main, rod and head bolts. Oh, I also need to get a 2" phenolic open carb spacer. I couldn't resist putting the rockers on for the pics.

:fr:
Last edited by Heirloom on Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I don't put a WHOLE lot of stock in desktop dyno programs, but they can get you an idea of how changes might affect performance. I tried to be as detailed as possible with input, and through several different sim's, independent math and just general knowledge, I keep coming up with somewhere around 400/400 out of this 400 motor at the crank. Poetic isn't it? I keep getting between 410-440 HP and 420-450 TQ on the sim's.

Just a fun exercise!

When it's all together and I have the tune really close I'll take to be dyno tuned. Then we can see what is put down to the ground and come up with a drive train loss estimate to see if these numbers are anywhere close to reality.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great work Heirloom! She looks awesome. Can't wait to see the real deal.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Cipher43

Post by Cipher43 »

Wow nice work Heirloom. Cant wait to see how this turns out. Ive always loved American flag/ color painted rides.
Greg
My Toys
Image...... Image......Image......Image
......1969 F-100................1968 F-250...........................57 S-100 IHC................71 CL350, 73CL450

original 360, T18 tranny, 9" with 3.25s

Project Rejuvenate Bill
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=69060
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Thanks Guys!!

Today I picked up a good set of buckets out of a Ford Probe. $32 total out the door :thup: Won't be hard to fabricate some mount brackets. Either I or a shop will eventually be re-covering them. It won't be too hard to do some damage control on the one driver torso ear. The foam feels pretty good, mostly it's just upholstery glue let loose and allowed the fabric ripples. It's nice to have the seats. As soon as those are in I can build the rest of the interior and prep it all for upholstery/paint.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I also ordered Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Two quarts plus three aerosol cans, one with the 360 degree spray whip. 8)
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Cool seats! Let us know how that 360° whip works. I thought about getting that to spray inside my doors and would like to hear how well it works. Thanks!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

sargentrs wrote:Cool seats! Let us know how that 360° whip works. I thought about getting that to spray inside my doors and would like to hear how well it works. Thanks!
Sure thing, Randy. :thup: I'll give it an honest shake (pun intended) and get good pics for everyone to judge for themselves. :D
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

Really enjoying following the progress on your project. Can't wait to see its completion!
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Mama Bear wrote:Really enjoying following the progress on your project. Can't wait to see its completion!
Thanks Mama Bear! Welcome to FORDification Forums!
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln