Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250

Post by Heirloom »

sargentrs wrote:Great work! Can't wait to see more.
Thanks Randy! I've been looking at your recent work and trying to build the gumption to finally tackle 'The Last Frontier' of automotive for me.....body work. Engines, tranny's, rear ends, electrical, suspension....no problem. Body work....not so much.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

It's my first attempt. I have a LOT to learn :doh: and I need more tools :D I'm totally dreading the bed.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

One of my heads is cracked! :( :cry:

Now I need to find another and port it too. I hate grinding iron. :x
~Heirloom

Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Found a good head today. A couple nights of grinding and this will be back on track......
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

Good to hear. Sucks to have to port a 3rd head! I still need to finish mine. :roll: What a tedious job! I usually don't mind work like that but I wish mine were done. I'll get into it again soon and knock 'em out. I'm busy with the rest of the truck for now but I'd like to time it so I can finish them up in the midst of my build, drop them off at the machine shop, and pick them up when I get ready to finish up the 390 to drop it into a freshly rebuilt and painted truck! :D

Good luck with your build!
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

F100builder wrote:Good to hear. Sucks to have to port a 3rd head! I still need to finish mine. :roll: What a tedious job! I usually don't mind work like that but I wish mine were done. I'll get into it again soon and knock 'em out. I'm busy with the rest of the truck for now but I'd like to time it so I can finish them up in the midst of my build, drop them off at the machine shop, and pick them up when I get ready to finish up the 390 to drop it into a freshly rebuilt and painted truck! :D

Good luck with your build!
Yeah, it gets old quick. This one I am going to blow through. Having done the two already this one will only be easier. Last night I removed all the major metal with the burrs and started in with the stones. It will be done this evening and delivered to the shop tomorrow.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

sargentrs wrote:It's my first attempt. I have a LOT to learn :doh: and I need more tools :D I'm totally dreading the bed.
Somehow I missed this until today :zz:

Looks like you are doing well! And every project deserves a new tool! :D
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

The shop had an issue with their surfacer and they are a little behind. No biggie. Instead of engine work, I started doing some body work. :eek:

We all know 'em.....most of us hate 'em. The dreaded aftermarket fuel door. Thankfully I only have to fill one :) So here is a photo sequence showing key steps....

As is....er....was....

With the lovely door removed. Note the fine job on the cuts.

Next I have measured, marked and taped my cut lines. 6 x 6 1/2.

The cleaned up cuts.

Here the area is sanded back and ready for welding.

Here's the patch fitted and held flush ready for tacking. Note my arrow for orientation while I fit the piece. I bought 22ga sheet at Dixieline. I think I will get 20ga next time. It seems to burn a bit quicker than the factory metal. Maybe a little more thickness will even out the heating of the two metals.

My Harbor Freight 110v 90Amp welder is a POS. I would TIG it, but I have been to lazy to put a new plug end on to match the one outlet that is 220v. Oh well. I'll make it work.

This is a pic of my first sand down to check it out.

After a lot of spot welding and hammer/dolly work I got it as close as I felt I could. Here is the first coat of filler.

That's as far as I am on filling the hole. I smell filler sanding in my near future.....

Also while I was working in that area of the bed, I fabricated a bed side support bracket for the one that was missing right in front of the wheel well. It's just some HVAC hanger strap welded in a T for rigidity.

:fr:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I think I'm getting the hang of it, body work that is. Keep in mind that this is my first real attempt at body work. So it's not 100% perfect, but it doesn't need to be. I'll probably dent it with in a week anyhow. So here's a pic of the fuel door work. There are a couple pin holes to fill, but it's pretty good.

My concern now turns to striping the rest of the bed and fixing other things. Like the rusty, pitted metal in the bed body line seam. I chiseled out the seam sealer (or what was left of it) and wire wheeled the seam as best I could.

Please, anyone feel free to chime in with suggestions on how to repair, or at least stop the rust from spreading. I'm not up for replacing the entire bed, or replacing the upper or lower section. I just want to stop the rust and then I can fill the pits and seam seal it.

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
pincheweddo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by pincheweddo »

Heirloom wrote:
Please, anyone feel free to chime in with suggestions on how to repair, or at least stop the rust from spreading. I'm not up for replacing the entire bed, or replacing the upper or lower section. I just want to stop the rust and then I can fill the pits and seam seal it.

Only two ways to get the rust out, sure fire no second guesses (inexpensively)

1. Get a small sand blaster from harbor freight or northern and blast it out.
2. Muratic acid treatment until it is shiny steel.

In your situation I would start with the sand and blast the crap out of it.

If you have TIG skills you have nothing to worry about if a cut off wheel hit it alittle. :roll:
See project updates at:
http://1967f100.blogspot.com
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

I let my subconscious chew on it over night. I'm going to media blast the crevice, then apply Eastwood rust encapsulator both in the crevice as well as sprayed on the back/inside using their 360 degree aerosol spray can/extension system. Then I can do some minor fill work on the pitting and prime it.

I do have almost 4 gallons of muriatic on hand too. I totally forgot about it. :hmm:
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Another option I had considered was leading it. Just fill the crevice with lead/solder.
~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
pincheweddo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by pincheweddo »

Heirloom wrote:Another option I had considered was leading it. Just fill the crevice with lead/solder.
Leading will work, It just won't stop the rust. Not sure that I am sold on all that encapsulator stuff. If you get ALL the rust out, what is there to encapsulate? :hmm: Wouldn't paint do the same thing?
See project updates at:
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heirloom »

Unfortunately pincheweddo, the only way to get ALL the rust out of this sucker is to disassemble it at all the seams and start over. After looking it over more thoroughly it's clear that this will not be a rust free rig. Since it's not practical for me to go that far, especially on a truck that I know WILL be abused, I am forced to try to band aid. Good question about the encapsulator & paint. Are they the same? IDK for sure. I would hope that they are not selling just paint, but a formulation that has a closer cell density so that it is a more effective barrier against moisture and oxidation (air). Maybe a molecular scientist in the bunch can chime in????

Anyhow, yesterday after the Sun was nearly set and the air temp dropped from Fire & Brimstone to right around the temp of hot coals, I was able to put in a minute of cutting before the sweltering heat cooked my brain.

With rust like that in the roof it's either fix it as best I can or get another cab. Since I'm really not game for getting a parts trucks or even just a cab, I will patch it up as best I can. I guess I will buy into the hype and put stock in the belief that an encapsulator will at least slow the rust's progress. I figure if I cover it inside and out it should buy several years on top of the years added by replacing as much metal as I can. It will be a learning experience at the very least!!

SIDE NOTE: If you have not entered the Oreilly Auto Parts 'Lot's of Loot' sweepstakes, go do it now. There are still enough days left to make it worth it. Every day you can enter twice online. Every day one entry will net you a $5 off $25 purchase, the other will net you a $5 of $5 purchase. The $5 off $5 if what I am really after. That's free 'nickel and dime' stuff. Think about all the cans and bottles of paint, grease etc that are $5 or more. Spark plugs.....the list is endless. I'm collecting all the $5 off $5's and when I go to the parts store I visit 3 O'reilly's (they happen to be in a nice 'loop' for me). Also, your entry's are put into the daily drawings for the 'big' prizes. x20 $50 visa cards, x10 $100 cards and x1$1000 card.....every day until the end. Today I won a $50 card!!!

GO DO IT!

~Heirloom

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ Abraham Lincoln
pincheweddo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by pincheweddo »

Heirloom wrote:I think I'm getting the hang of it, body work that is. Keep in mind that this is my first real attempt at body work. So it's not 100% perfect, but it doesn't need to be. I'll probably dent it with in a week anyhow. So here's a pic of the fuel door work. There are a couple pin holes to fill, but it's pretty good.

[ Image ]

My concern now turns to striping the rest of the bed and fixing other things. Like the rusty, pitted metal in the bed body line seam. I chiseled out the seam sealer (or what was left of it) and wire wheeled the seam as best I could.

[ Image ]

Hang on there Loomy! You showed me the seam on the bed not all this other stuff. Yea you defiantly need some different attention on these other areas. Whew! Your photo's make me feel fortunate for what I have. Speaking of what I have here in TX are the locations of many cabs that are in better shape than this. There is a yard south of here with at least 4 or 5 not to mention the extra on my driveway. :wink:
See project updates at: