Heirlooms '68 F250 - 2500 miles later.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Heirlooms '68 F250 - Nearing start up

Post by Heirloom »

Hi all. It's been quite the adventure since my last post. The truck is running and driving, I've had no issues other than a little carb tuning. She fired right up first try on probably the second revolution. That was two or three days after Xmas. I managed to get about 150 miles on it before it was time to hitch up the tandem axle flat bed trailer with the 79 shorty (and lots of other stuff) on it and head to Tennessee. She performed nearly flawlessly. In Texas I has to adjust the idle circuits a bit. I think elevation and super cold temps had to do with that. Also in Texas I stopped at a gas station that pumped bad gas/water into it. Thankfully it was only a gallon or so before I realized. Boy did it run bad...nearly not at all. I bought an ethanol fuel drier product from Napa, filled it with good gas and she was fine. It has tons of power, even with 'best guessing' the carb jetting, accel pump cam and secondary spring.... and not doing a dyno tune. Towing heavy I can 1/2 throttle most hills. Step on it and those secondaries open.....and your off to the races....even with an extra too many thousands of pounds in the bed and on the trailer.

Wish I had took some pictures while on the road, but we were on a mission. The trip was pure hell. Too many problems to go into, but one of the low-lites was between Tucson and Benson, AZ. One of my trailer wheel bearing seized, spun the axle nut off (shearing the cotter pin) and of course spit the wheel (with hub) off while on IH10. That resulted in an extra 2 night stay in the area while I bought a new axle (spindle was tore up), bearings (for all the wheels), a hub (old one shattered) etc and had it installed. Had to unload the trailer on the side of the Hwy and drive the Shorty to our Hotel, as well as drive the 3 legged trailer to the hotel, then into Tucson the next day. Thankfully Discount Tire didn't give me any crud and replaced the severely gashed 2 day old tire (purchased 4 new in El Centro, CA merely 300 miles earlier) free of charge because it was a road hazard incident....I just happened to be the road hazard :lol:

So here are a couple pictures I took this morning. We had a little snow last night. Exciting! for this So Cal Boy. It is absolutely heaven on earth. All the trials and tribulations to get here were worth it.

~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln