73 to a 69

Moderator: FORDification

hunter01762

73 to a 69

Post by hunter01762 »

Hey guys i told everyone wrong on my donor truck it is a 73 custom. What will interchange (if anything) on a 69 ranger. Is there any way I can get any info on what will fit on a 69 and what will not.
Lord, give me the restraint not to cuss over busted knuckles.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 73 to a 69

Post by FORDification »

As you know, the trucks were redesigned in '73, so most of the '73-up parts won't fit. Things that will:

- windshield (not rear window) and windshield trim
- side glass (?) (I've heard side glass will fit, but I can't confirm)
- radiator support (with minor mods)
- inner fenderwells (with minor mods)
- steering column (with minor wiring mods)
- entire front suspension and steering is a bolt-on
- seat
- engine/transmission (with proper mounts)
- hood (?) (I've been told the hood will fit but I haven't tried it to see how the latch works)
- front bumper (not rear)

Off the top of my head that's all I can come up with. The frames on the '73-up 2WDs got 4" wider from the cab back, so the rearend won't fit without relocating the spring perches. The fuel tank fits between the frame rails but is too wide for our narrower frames. No body parts will interchange except radiator support and inner fenderwells.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

so neither tank off of a 73-79 will fit our trucks? the rear tank or the under cab tank? i do think the side glass will fit but i'm not sure either. i do know the steering box will fit also.

as well as the power brake unit if installed with the bracket from the 73 and i think you have to mount the bracket upside down? also i seen on blue oval parts that they sell the floor pans for our truck and they are supposedly the same from 67-79. but thats by going from what they say. the glove box door button is the same and maybe the glove box door itself. maybe i haven't tried yet.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The rear tank off a 2WD will not fit. The rear auxiliary tank from a '73-'77-1/2 factory highboy will, since the frame-rail spacing on that generation of highboys is the same as ours, but you'll have to do some fabrication to mount it. The under-cab tank could probably fit with some mods, but I'm not sure. I've never heard of anyone trying it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The glovebox door will not fit....completely different shape.

The brake booster will fit, and it mounts just like ours. You can't mount the brackets upside down...not only will the booster end up being so low that it'll hit the engine, but the booster pushrod (to the brake pedal) will no longer line up with the firewall hole.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
hunter01762

Post by hunter01762 »

I appreciate all the info that you guys gave me looks like I will be taking the disc brakes out and trying to trade some parts to get what I need.
Lord, give me the restraint not to cuss over busted knuckles.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

sorry about the brake booster thing i thought i read that here. i didnt look it up i just started typing without checking it out first.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Does the power steering box from a '78 fit the '67 through '72 2wd trucks?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes its a saginaw same as the other saginaws.