trans swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

oldfordnut

trans swap

Post by oldfordnut »

well i got myself a 1971 ford f-100 and it has a 4 speed np 435 i belive it may be a t-18 but idk but anywyas it has a 302 in it and i plan on changing the trans to just a 3 speed does anyone kno what all im goin to have to change to make it work??? thnx alot billy
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

You will need a new tranny hump or weld up the hole in the one that you have.

Is this a 3 spd manual or auto?

Either way you will need to cut a new hole either of the floor shifters for the units.

If all goes well with my 4speed setup I would have a Hurst Automatic shifter to sell.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: trans swap

Post by flyboy2610 »

Why do you want to get rid of the 4spd?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I pulled a 3 speed out of a '71 with a 302 and replaced it with a 4 speed and it was all bolt in. took about 3 hrs by myself.
but I would think long and hard about changing to the 3 speed. too many advantages with the 4 speed and the top gears are the same (1:1)
BTW.....I have that 3 speed sitting here in the driveway. been out about 6 years now........
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
oldfordnut

Post by oldfordnut »

well im maken the truck a hot rod truck and i dont really want the creeper gear or the 2 ft throw
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Coughtoploadercough
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
oldfordnut

Post by oldfordnut »

im thinken that ur for the 3 speed too i just cant afford the long throws u kno so anyone have all the things i would need to do let me kno
PLEASE
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

could you translate that for me? please????
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I agree with Duckryder....a 4-spd Toploader (car style) would be a good tranny to swap in and fairly easy to do. The hardest part will be finding one that's affordable, since everybody wants one. :o

The following is a little bit off-topic, but as long as we're on the subject...

I was asking about attaching a Toploader swap behind an FE a while back and was told it'll take a little parts mixing/matching, but for a street-driven truck it'll be worth it. I'd like to do the same thing some day....if I get rich enough to afford one or even lucky enough to find one. Here's some info that Barry gave me on the subject:
The truck bellhousing is 7/16" deeper than the car bellhousing. This means any FE car manual tranny (Toploader included) will have a problem with it's input nose engaging into the pilot shaft. I have heard of a way around this though. Instead of using an FE tranny, use the small block trannies (Toploader included). They all have a longer input nose and it engages perfectly.
Actually, I think the small block Toploader would be a better match for a truck because it's a wide ratio with a lower 1st compared to the big block Toploader. Plus, the truck bellhousing takes the bigger 11 1/2" clutch compared to the 11" car bell.

(Close ratio) - 2.32 1.69 1.29 1.00
(Wide ratio) - 2.78 1.93 1.35 1.00
Bellhousings that will be used with a Toploader must measure 6 1/4" deep. If it measures 6 3/4" deep it is a truck bellhousing and should not be used.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
oldfordnut

Post by oldfordnut »

ok im sorry but i really need help if i go to put the 3 speed in that all am i goin to have to change willl the clutch assembly be fine what mounts will i need will i need to cahnge drive shafts i have the np435 and i do not want the long throws so im gonna go to the good old ford 3 speed PLEASE!!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

try this site for your toploader:

car-part.com

This site is linked to a lot of the junkyards across the country.