Dana 24 transfer case...again

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

davesoehren

Dana 24 transfer case...again

Post by davesoehren »

im thinking about keeping my 24 because my truck is totaly stock exept paint...it's a 70 f250 highboy. my tcase keeps on poping out of gear so i got a rebuild kit...dose anyone know if their is a how 2 video or some pics to help me along. i have never done a tcase.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dana 24 transfer case...again

Post by basketcase0302 »

I just sold a really...nice D-44 manual I'd gotten from these guys. They made the transfer case-if anyone knows a source for the D24 manual-they would. Keep in mind there are a bunch of different sources for rebuild kits for it. :wink:
http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/depdf.aspx?prod=AXL
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dana 24 transfer case...again

Post by averagef250 »

Popping out of gear is a symptom of extreme abuse, not regular bearing wear. You may be lucky and find it's just a badly worn shift fork or really bad bearings, but odds are it's crashed hard enough to destroy the slider teeth and that's why it's popping out.

It would be a good idea to have a spare 24 on hand for parts when you get inside yours.

I've rebuilt a lot of different transmissions and transfer cases. You shouldn't need any instructions- assembly is disassembly reversed. The 24 doesn't use any tapered bearings so there are no shims or clearances to check. The only trick I can think of is to put grease on the pocket bearing needles to hold them in place during assembly (if your 24 still has needles, many I've seen have been machined for bushings after the bearings cooked).
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70