Front Is lifted but with issues.

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

oldshep66

Front Is lifted but with issues.

Post by oldshep66 »

Ok so i got the front of my 68 4x4 f100 lifted. BUT, my new front coil springs are larger diameter than the factory springs so they dont want to sit down in the bottom mount which is cup shaped. Can i get a larger bottom mount somewhere. Ive looked with no luck.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Front Is lifted but with issues.

Post by basketcase0302 »

I'm not sure on the difference in the years-versus diameter, but maybe try to measure the dent era spring seats, (73-79)? They are readily available from many sources. I believe that Sargentrs just went through this on his 2WD, and maybe someone else can pipe in here that knows a little more? :pray:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
greentruck

Re: Front Is lifted but with issues.

Post by greentruck »

I had this same issue, the new coil springs where significantly thicker than the old ones. I washed the mounts, grinded the ends of the coil spring a little with a sandpaper flap disc, and bent the hold down clamp slightly (the plate inside the coil spring that bolts to the bottom mount). It took a couple of hours and a few test fits but in the end everything slide into place nicely. Hope this helps
Big Red - 1969 F100 4x4 SB
Greentruck -1972 F100 SB converted to 4x4 -SOLD...why?