T18 shifter locating pin?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

T18 shifter locating pin?

Post by 390Nut »

Guess that's the best way to describe it. It's the little piece that locks the shifter handle in place, inside the screw-on cap.

About 6 years ago, this piece broke on me while shifting from 3rd to 4th. I was able to make it home ok, to find out what exactly was wrong, and found a bunch of little pieces when I unscrewed the cap at the base of the shifter handle.

Problem is, I can't find anything that works for more than 6 months or so, before it is so worn out that the shifting gets really sloppy, and I hate going back in there every six months with a new piece of steel rod.

Does anyone know of a source for the CORRECT part for this? I've asked at tranny shops if it is something that comes in a rebuild kit for the T18 (which they all have told me is available readily) but when I mention this piece, I always get a blank stare in return. :roll:

I also can't find any info about it in my Chiltons, and don't have any access to the original FORD manuals. (if it would even be in them? )
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

What about a piece of hardened steel rod? Call around to some of the metal specialty shops. I am sure they can hook you up.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
4x4_Welder

Post by 4x4_Welder »

You can get a small piece of 309 stainless from onlinemetals.com, they are right over in Seattle. Try Tacoma Screw and Pacific Welding too.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: T18 shifter locating pin?

Post by 390Nut »

Had a piece of hardened steel rod, cut to fit. Lasted just around 6 months, about the same length of time a grade 8 bolt cut to fit lasts.

I'm starting to think that the piece isn't necessarily supposed to be round for the whole length, but I can't find any solid info supporting this. Where it fits into the shifter handle is rounded, but the part in the top of the trans where this pice fits is square, and this is where it gets worn down so quickly, in the transition from the square portion to the round portion. Also, that's what was left when this first happened, was the round piece in the shifter handle. The rest of it was little tiny pieces, hopefully most of which I pulled out of the grease.

Dunno if that made any sense. :hmm: I do know the tranny is going to get rebuilt, most likely this winter (actually the spare one I have will be rebuilt, and no; The pin is long gone from it. :( ) Won't do me much good though, if I still can't shift worth a darn.

Might be able to get some pics of what I am talking about this weekend, if needed. This has been something I've been trying to figure out for a few years now, and I STILL havent found the answer to just exactly what that part is, or looks like, even.

Then again, maybe it's just a specific size of pin that isn't made in rod or bolt form, and that's why any replacements wear out so fast :?
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver

cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Kind of strange how fast you are chewing them up. My T-18 is 40+ years old and its never had that problem.

2 ideas:

1) Try inland truck parts as a source. www.inlandtruck.com Call them, be persistant. They had the spiral gear (on the tailshaft) for the speedo for me, when NO ONE else had it.

2) You are planning to rebuild a t-18. Why? They are hard to break. But assuming you have managed to destroy more than just that pin, you should consider a t-19 swap. They are bolt up trannies, identical. BUT the t-19 has a syncro'd 1st gear AND if you can find a close ratio t-19, you can be rid of that worthless granny gear in first. Just a thought.......
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

try the LMC or dennis carpenter catalogs. I just saw them today while looking for parts for my truck
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if the one part is square and the shifter round what about a square key and modify the other end to be round. maybe you could drill it for a cotter pin on both sides?
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: re: T18 shifter locating pin?

Post by 390Nut »

cdherman wrote:Kind of strange how fast you are chewing them up. My T-18 is 40+ years old and its never had that problem.

2 ideas:

1) Try inland truck parts as a source. www.inlandtruck.com Call them, be persistant. They had the spiral gear (on the tailshaft) for the speedo for me, when NO ONE else had it.
Thanks for the lead, I'll look into it for sure.
2) You are planning to rebuild a t-18. Why? They are hard to break. But assuming you have managed to destroy more than just that pin, you should consider a t-19 swap. They are bolt up trannies, identical. BUT the t-19 has a syncro'd 1st gear AND if you can find a close ratio t-19, you can be rid of that worthless granny gear in first. Just a thought.......
I've used that "worthless" granny gear more times than I can remember. And I'm sure I'll have need for it again in the future. I USE my truck like a truck! This truck has seen 300,000 plus miles of sometimes hard use and just a little bit of abuse, too

As for why rebuild the t-18? because that's what it has in it, it's what I'm used to, and it would be sort of sacrilagous to put anything else into this particular truck, at least to me. I learned to drive, AND took my first drivers test in this truck, over 22 years ago. Call me sentimental (mostly just mental though :D )

On the other hand, and if it were a different truck (and of course if I were RICH :$$: ) it would get a built auto slapped behind a Genesis aluminum crate motor. And a relatively stock looking paint job/appearance... :twisted: :$$:

72hiboy: thanks for the lead. I'll look into it.

fordman: Thought about that, but I dont think I could make something like that cleanly, or accurately. My skills are limited, and tools are even more-so. I've tried getting small stuff machined around here, and it's usually shop rate to get it done (@ about $125.00 an hour, at the CHEAPEST, that I've found so far) I'll look into it though, as it might be th eonly viable option for me.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver

cdherman

Post by cdherman »

I shouldn't have used the word "worthless". I have the same tranny you have, and, indeed, the granny gear served a very important purpose for many years. I wouldn't view a t-19 swap as a particularly radical change -- if you go with a standard ratio t-19, you'll have the same feel as what you now have, in terms of gearing. A used one might be out there for less than the cost of rebuilding the t-18

Of course, the reverse will move to over and down. That's the part that I personally don't like about a t-19 swap. Ruins the feel for me. I don't tow anything with my 65 anymore, so a close ratio t-19 with sync'd gears would make the truck more usable for what its doing today.

That might not be your situation. Didn't mean to sound like I was making fun of your tranny or truck.
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

It's all good... I kind of get a kick out of it when people tell me that a granny low is useless in a non commercial-use truck, and there are lots of them out there that do. MOSTLY those who have never used one, nor would likely ever need to, though. :D

Been more than a few times where I've had the truck loaded way more than it should be, or towing other vehicles, including other Ford trucks. (never towed a Chubby, dont think I ever will. except out of the ditch! :D )

Makes it much easier to get moving, without that funny, tell-all burning smell :lol:
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver