Stall speed?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

import600

Stall speed?

Post by import600 »

You guys seem to be smart. i got a question. On a torque converter wats the stall speed? Is that when it shifts? and what about a trans brake? whats that do? thanks guys
kyle
1971 F100 2wd swb 429 C6
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Stall speed?

Post by GT-Racer »

Stall speed is when the converter will ingage the transmission. Its basically the same as in a stick shift when you rev up the motor before letting out the clutch. Higher the stall speed, the higher the revs get, the harder to take off ( when mashing it off the line).

Transbrake basically locks the tranny in low and reverse at the same time, allowing you to bring the RPMs up for launching and the drag races. You release a switch and POW your gone. I know thats not the Technical answer that you were looking for but thats the easy explaination.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Here's another way of looking at it: think of a torque converter as an automatic clutch, one that is RPM dependent. When you're sitting in Drive at an idle, it's not engaged, so you don't move.....but when you give the truck some gas (increase the RPMs), the torque converter engages and starts to move the truck.

You can get torque converters with different stall speeds to allow you to get one tailered for your engine setup and how you drive your vehicle. With a racing converter, for example, since you don't want it to engage until the engine is higher in RPMs (for a harder launch) you'd get one with a higher stall speed. However, this same converter wouldn't be good for a street vehicle, since your engine is going to have to be winding out all the time, it won't do a slow cruise very well.

Here's some reading for you:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
http://www.bankspower.com/Tech_understa ... conver.cfm
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/converter/
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

Thanks Keith, I dont know the technical side just the drag racing application. Faster launches!!!
;)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
import600

Post by import600 »

say you have a torque converter which has a stall speed of 3500 rpms.. your vehical won't take off until the engine has revved that high? if so then whats a good stall speed for a daily driver and a strip combined?

also then a trans brake wouldn't be good for driving?

im looking to get a trans kits for my c6 and beef it up a bit but i don't know what else to do..
thanks so much guys
kyle
1971 F100 2wd swb 429 C6
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

a 3500 stall will slip but it will still go at slower speeds. It will build up heat in the fluid and tranny. You dont have to drive at 3600 rpms to get it to move. Sorry that was a bit confusing I guess.

flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

For a daily driver just go with a stock converter. They'll do the job (and cost less!)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

...and a transmission brake is for a race-only vehicle.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
import600

Post by import600 »

ok so ur saying.. a torque converter is like strictly race? i want something that has pickup.. i want to be able to break the tires loose when im going like 25mph.. and be able to light em up... wat about a trans kit, make it shift a bit harder? is that bad for a street/strip setup? thanks again
kyle
1971 F100 2wd swb 429 C6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

All automatic transmissions have a torque converter, it's how the engine connects to the transmission. But installing a high-stall converter on a street-driven truck is not what you need to do. You'd have to get a second job just to pay for the gas. To be honest I think you're looking in wrong direction if you're thinking that beefing up the transmission is going to give you more horsepower.

To boost your performance you need to concentrate on your engine's output. Upgrading to headers and dual exhaust should be the first thing you do, adding a 4-barrel and good aluminum intake would be next. Get a Pertronix setup to replace your stock points in the distributor.

BTW, what kind of truck are we talking about here, what size of engine, and what rearend gears on you running?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
import600

Post by import600 »

Ok.. well i am planning on the engine upgrades.. but i was thinking too much power input to my trans will blow it. I don't want to pay for that. I'm looking to make it stronger.
My setup right now, well will be, a 429 with a c6, its all stock for now. I'm looking to get headers manifold, cams, the works, and i know nothing about the rear end gears.. those are stock right now. Its a stock 9 in rear. The truck is 71 f100 short bed. BTW do you have any suggestions to beef up the rear end as well? Thanks again
kyle
1971 F100 2wd swb 429 C6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The C-6 is a good transmission, and unless you're planning on adding several hundred extra horsepower, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's in good shape, I'd put a shift kit in it, add an aftermarket cooler and go play. :D

The 9-inch rearend is about as strong a rearend as you can get. In fact, it's the rearend of choice for most racers...even those with GM or Mopar products. For racing purposes you can get kits to bolt a 9" rearend into almost anything (and in fact I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my '67 Olds 442). However, there's really not a lot that needs done to a stock 9" to beef up unless you're going all-out racing. You can pull the pumpkin and change the gears for better pickup, or splurge for a factory-type limited slip or even a locker-type unit to get the power to the ground.

In a nutshell: you'll have to spend quite a bit of money on engine upgrades before you need to worry about the tranny or rearend. As long as both are in good shape, concentrate your efforts on engine output first.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

:yt:

import600

Post by import600 »

how much horsepower do you think manifold cam carb headers will add? i know it will vary but say an average hp gain. What is limited slip, or locker? and how do you get posi? thanks guys
kyle
1971 F100 2wd swb 429 C6
import600

Post by import600 »

one other quick question... how hard is it to install a trans kit? to give it punchier shifts. thanks
kyle
1971 F100 2wd swb 429 C6