single stage paint

Moderator: FORDification

oldhalftons

single stage paint

Post by oldhalftons »

does anyone have any experience spraying polyurathane enamal?

this is the type of paint that doesn't use a clear coat over it.
I REALLY don't want to do a big-$$$$ base coat/clear coat paint job.
1969 F100 300/4spd power steering, manual brakes
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: single stage paint

Post by hardtailjohn »

I actually preffer to use basecoat/clearcoat, as I think it's an easier system to apply, and a bit more forgiving. I like the way it repairs better as well.
However... "single stage" polyurethane as you call it, is great stuff too, and I've applied more of it than the other, I'd guess. It can color sand and be polished to a perfect shine as well as anything else. You will have less expense, and you go over the vehicle with one less coat, so less work as well.
If you're going to shoot polyurethane paint, you MUST use a PRESSURE breather air system. A respirator wont save you!!! Polyurethanes are catalyzed with isocyanide... get that? You need a pressure fresh air supply that covers your face and a good paint suit... not to mention that you better have some way of filtering it before it exhausts into the atmosphere or you're poisoning every living thing in the area... The thing that I find that works best is a waterfall filter, as the cyanide is attracted to water (so in your body, it's attracted to all the "soft tissue" parts). It all sounds complicated, but it really isn't...you just need to think about what you're doing and think safety. I've been a manufacturer of paint, as well as an instructor of painting, and people tend to think big dollars, when they really don't have to. You can rent pressure fresh air breathing systems and a paint suit usually runs about $50 (not what you're going to spend on clothes if you spill on yourself... not to mention the health hazard).. and I've seen everything from a swamp cooler to a garden hose setup as a waterfall filter... I've also learned that the first thing that needs to be done is to read all the tech sheets on the paint and follow the safety instructions!!!! The people that make the paint definately know more about the safety aspects than the people that sell it.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

basecoat/clearcoat on mine. nice and shiny :woohoo:
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: single stage paint

Post by 67F250CS »

My truck is my third one that I used single stage one. I prefer it only because Im lazy and dont want to paint a whole car/truck/van that I just finished painting all over again.
Clear will fool you into thinking the polishing is done.
Single stage you gotta work it out with cutter and polish. Not easy but you see the results right away.
Oriely Auto has thousands od colors to choose from and they mix it up and seel all the thinner and hardener and MSDS sheets and the guy that mixes the paint has been school trained so I am very comfortable asking him questions. :D
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!