Adding a new Tranny cooler to HD-MX

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

fordloaf

Adding a new Tranny cooler to HD-MX

Post by fordloaf »

I am having my Medium case cast iron cruise-o-mattic rebuilt and want to replace the original 'water' cooling system with a separate transmission cooler. Should i just run the 2 lines to a new cooler mounted in front of the radiator? Like i said it was a water cooled system, but can i/should i change it to use tranny fluid as the cooling liquid? Any advice on how big a cooler to get? Thanks

67 F250
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

I'd say buy one of the bigger aftermarket models and mount in front of radiator.

When mine still had that tranny in it...I wondered how long those fittings in the radiator lines were going to last and how would I get replacements. Plus you can't put headers on it with all that copper plumbing under motor.
Bump'n along.
fordloaf

re: Adding a new Tranny cooler to HD-MX

Post by fordloaf »

How exactly does the fluid circulate through a add on cooler back to the trans? Is it just from the heating and cooling of the fluid?
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

The fluid is under pressure from front pump of tranny. Don't ever unhook it if the motor is running!! You'll be RED!! LOL!!
Bump'n along.
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="Freightrain"]The fluid is under pressure from front pump of tranny. Don't ever unhook it if the motor is running!! You'll be RED!! LOL!![/quote]

This is the delema i am trying to figure out. The Trans i have does NOT have an OIL cooler. It is WATER cooled from the radiator. So it has some sort of coolant jacket for cooling the transmission. I want to remove that and ad a oil cooler. The question is can i add an oil cooler in the traditional way or do i have to/can i add a oil cooler in place of the water cooling system?
pat67shorty

Post by pat67shorty »

Hmmm... that trans doesn't hove outlets for the fluid to go to a cooler huh?

Maybe that's why mine had a C6 in it when I got it...
'67 SWB, 1970 car 390, Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, MSD 6AL, 780 Holley, Hedman headers, 2.5 duals, 3.54 D44 L/S, C6.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The cooler you have works in exactly the same way as the cooler normally located in the radiator.

I would suggest removing it entirely and plumbing in your aux cooler...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

Yup, remove the plumbing, pipe the two lines FROM the tranny to remote cooler. Works all the same.
Bump'n along.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

we had a similar talk about this a while ago, maybe this will help out a little.

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4399
shrektruck

Re: Adding a new Tranny cooler to HD-MX

Post by shrektruck »

[quote="fordloaf"]I am having my Medium case cast iron cruise-o-mattic rebuilt and want to replace the original 'water' cooling system with a separate transmission cooler. Should i just run the 2 lines to a new cooler mounted in front of the radiator? Like i said it was a water cooled system, but can i/should i change it to use tranny fluid as the cooling liquid? Any advice on how big a cooler to get?

I think one of us is confused. AFAIK the tranny is cooled by tranny fluid in your cruise-o-matic. It is just pumped into the bottom of the radiator and does not mix with the water in your radiator, the tranny fluid flows through the bottom under pressure from the tranny front pump like Freightrain said and is cooled by the water in the radiator. If you open those lines you'l find tranny fluid not water, if you do find water you got problems.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Those MX trannys are a little different. There is an external heat exchanger on the side that the tranny lines go to and the coolant is teed off from the bottom of the radiator outlet and goes back to the exchanger. Keith has some pics of one somewhere.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
fordloaf

Re: re: Adding a new Tranny cooler to HD-MX

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="68F250"]Those MX trannys are a little different. There is an external heat exchanger on the side that the tranny lines go to and the coolant is teed off from the bottom of the radiator outlet and goes back to the exchanger. Keith has some pics of one somewhere.[/quote]

You are correct, there is a heat exchanger....

Shrek, i did open the lines and they have green coolant. The MX has perhapse 3/4" plumping and it goes from the engine block and to the lower radiator hose.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Well, I found the pic of the tee...
http://www.fordification.com/images/67-2_day2-26.jpg
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Freightrain

Post by Freightrain »

I had a complete pic layout of my plumbing back when I still had tranny in truck. I did it cause someone was looking for it to put their truck back together and did not know the routing of everything. I have since crashed my computer and don't have it anymore :(.

Like mentioned it takes water from bottom of block, runs thru exhanger mounted on side of tranny, then to bottom radiator hose(like picture shows). The tranny fluid only comes out side of tranny, into exhanger and back into tranny.

If you use those two lines, run them to a separate cooler up in front of radiator it should be just fine.
Bump'n along.
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="Freightrain"]
If you use those two lines, run them to a separate cooler up in front of radiator it should be just fine.[/quote]

Thanks, but i left the plumbing in place so i dont need the pics. I will probably remove it all like you and run lines to a separate cooler like you are saying and then plug up the engine block holes. I still am not sure if i should cool it with trans fluid though, i dont see why it would not work but....