AOD flexplate

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

AOD flexplate

Post by averagef250 »

I recently pulled a bad AOD from behind a 302 both swapped in at some point in an older Ford truck. I was surprized to find marks from the crank bolt heads worn into the converter, but the thing did run and drive. I just bolted in a good used AOD and matching converter from a 92 F-150 and was surprized that the engine will not turn over so I can install the converter nuts.

I am not familiar with small block flexplate differences and seriously wondering if I have an issue with the wrong flexplate here. The flexplate has four holes that match the converter studs perfectly, but it has a 3/8" or so offset built into it that appears to be more than what the AOD converter needs.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a chance I have the wrong flexplate here even though it bolts right up to the converter?
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
flatblack

Re: AOD flexplate

Post by flatblack »

i had the same problem but it was a aod from a 351 to a 302, it was like the torque converter was thicker, so i took it all apart and found that i didnt put the torque converter in all the way. long story short i had to change the flywheel (to be sure) the torque convertor (again to be sure) and the pump that i broke because of the torque convertor not being in all the way.
Nitrous is like a hot girl with std's... you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences