HYDRAULIC LIFTER ?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

marine6212

HYDRAULIC LIFTER ?

Post by marine6212 »

I have a question about my lifters? Should I be able to push the Hyd. Lifters down with my finger :? About a month ago I installed new push rods and drove around for about a week before they bent again :cry: :x . I took the heads to a machine shop today to get hardened valve seats and new guides and springs and what ever else it needs. I was looking at the lifters today and some of them I can push in with my fingers and some of them won't budge. I cleaned all of them when I had it apart last month. I filled them with oil and it would squirt out of the little hole on the side.

Do I need new lifters?

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: HYDRAULIC LIFTER ?

Post by convincor »

the ones you can push down are ones that at the time the engine last stopped running the valves were open. This would be putting pressure on the lifter and they bleed down. Once oil pressure feeds them again they'll pump up like the others.
full explanation here- http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Yup
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

The time for lifters is when they tap when the oil pressure gauge is at the low end of the solid white bar. I have one that is very intolerant of oil changes and hot oil at an idle after a long day. Since it goes away by the time I get the valve covers off. I just leave it until I recam my motor.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test