Starting and wiring issue

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

72longbed

Starting and wiring issue

Post by 72longbed »

My truck is a 72 witha 390/auto to start off with. I have a mallory unilite distrubutor and coil and the ballast resistor. My problem is the truck will not start until the key is released. I can crank on it for a half hour and it won't fire until the key is released. I have the mallory wired like this.. 12v switched coming from the cab (old radio wire not the resistor wire) to the ballast resistor, then from the other side of the ballast resistor to the + on the coil. I have replaced the starter solenoid and the ignition switch but it still does the same thing. Ocationally it won't fire (like once out of 15 starts) it will just let out a loud his from the carb and the motor is actually spinning backward for a second (and it sprays fuel into the aircleaner lid). Then I will crank it again and it fires up (once the key is released lol)The truck always starts and runs good once started I just don't get why it won't start until you release the key. Sorry for the long post.
1972 F100 Longbed- 390, Edelbrock manifold and carb, Hooker super comp headers, Flowmasters
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Starting and wiring issue

Post by fordman »

it is a wiring problem. and i dont remember what it is. maybe you should post this in electrical and see if thunderfoot can help you with it.
72longbed

Re: Starting and wiring issue

Post by 72longbed »

Ok will do, thankyou
1972 F100 Longbed- 390, Edelbrock manifold and carb, Hooker super comp headers, Flowmasters