Header Gasket PSA

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Header Gasket PSA

Post by fomocoguy »

This is a purely informational post for all you out there who have plans to install headers on your truck or are having problems with headers that are currently installed. I just wanted to share my experiance with any of you who may not know a few key pieces of information about your headers; information that bit me in the butt with my install.

If you bought your headers new and they include new gaskets then this really isn't a concern for you, but if not listen up! I had a set of new hedman's that a purchased from a guy who hung them on his garage wall and never used them, so the gaskets were long gone. I was detemined to have no leaks, so I purchased some $30 copper gaskets thinking I was doing really good and had that part taken care of. Well, after spending 7 hours installing the headers and finally getting to the point of starting the truck for the first time, I was severely dissapointed when they leaked terribly. Here's a pic of the gaskets I took out today.
I couldn't understand it, but figured it out shortly. It turns out that there are TWO TYPES of mating flanges on headers, and you have to have the correct gaskets to match! You can see where every port on these gaskets was leaking; that's because my headers have a bead welded on the mounting face around the port, which is then ground flat where it's supposed to seal to the head. The "bead" just sat inside the gasket holes and leaked all over the place. These gaskets are made for thick flange headers that have a smooth, flat mounting surface.

The lesson that I am preaching here is that if you have headers and you need gaskets, do some research! I purchased some gaskets that are made by Remflex and are designed to work with welded bead type headers. I also know that Flowtech makes a gasket set for the same type of application.

Well, that's about it. I just wanted to share my experiance so that none of you go through this headache like I did. Buying the proper style gaskets in the first place will make your life much easier! :thup:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
marxtoys

Re: Header Gasket PSA

Post by marxtoys »

Bummer.

Doesn't look like they got mashed much though.....

probably still work ok on some iron manifolds.

not what you wanted to hear, I know. sorry.
"Knowledge is Good." Emil Faber
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Got the new gaskets in today and they sealed up like a dream!!! Here's a pic; you can see how much more coverage the new ones have.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

Its not the gasket per se, a truck head has a different port location than an early car head (but the same as a post 68 non-CJ car head). It was the wrong gasket.

The second half of the equation is that the heads have to match the headers, because no matter which gasket you use, they wont seal up of the head doesnt match
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs