Header leak advice

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Header leak advice

Post by fomocoguy »

I'm sure a lot of you have dealt with header leaks, so I'm hoping someone here knows of a good fix!

I just spent all day yesterday installing headers on my crew. After fighting with me tooth and nail they finally went in, but the real kick in the pants is that I got them all bolted in and they leak like crazy. The headers are brand new, and I used a $35 set of copper gaskets thinking that they would work great. I think what happened is that the gasket openings are too big. Anyways, I ordered a set of .060 thick felpro header gaskets (which have smaller port openings) from summit that will be here tomorrow. I would apprieciate input from anyone who has had this problem here!

So, I was thinking about something and need your advice. Have any of you ever doubled up the gaskets? I was thinking of installing my reuseable copper ones on the head side and putting the new ones on the header face. What do you think? I'd really like it to work this time, as the bolts are a real pita to get to. Thanks! :fr:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Header leak advice

Post by fomocoguy »

I just saw these on another thread: http://catalog.remflex.com/FORD_Header_ ... rf3050.htm Looks like exactly what I need. Has anyone tried these?

EDIT: I just bought some! I figure if these don't cure it nothing will. Plus they have a 6 month warranty. I'm sending the summit gaskets back.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
2005 Ford Ranger
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

don't double the gaskets. You're looking for more trouble if you do that.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

I always double up the gaskets and they work great for me! Tried a little silicon once with one gasket and that worked as well, but I wish I hadn't done that because it's not real fun to get off. :2cents:
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

I thought I had heard of people doing that but I'd never talked to anyone about their success. We'll see how these Remflex gaskets work out; they are actually designed to work with Hedman hedders like mine with the raised weld mounting surface. I wish I had known about them in the first place because I probably would have just bought some considering how much trouble I've had in the past with header leaks. In fact, I put some on a 65 F250 with a 352 and promptly removed them for the same exact reason. If these things work I will sing their praises from the mountian tops... :pray:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
2005 Ford Ranger
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

put a metal ruler on each surface and find out what is not straight and go from there :thup:
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

thebannister8 wrote:put a metal ruler on each surface and find out what is not straight and go from there :thup:
Honestly it's really not a matter of being straight. The gaskets I used just have too big an opening and the "weld beads" on the header mounting surface are landing in the holes instead of on the gasket (or more likely part on the gasket and part off, hence the terrible leaks). I thought they looked funny when I laid the gaskets on the headers to check the fit, but I figured I'd just try and see. I did, and the leak all over the place. I think my "high performance" gaskets are just made big to fit big hollowed out exhaust ports and flat flange headers. They are definetly wrong for my application, thats for sure.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
2005 Ford Ranger
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Thanks for the input! I actually saw your post yesterday and realized you were having the exact same problem. My headers probably would have came with the correct gaskets too, but I bought them as never used extras that hung on a wall for years so the gaskets were MIA. Anyways, in the next post is where convincor suggested "remflex" brand gaskets. That's where I found them in a design that is made for our type header. It actually says "for welded bead type header like Hedman" so I bought them. The flowtech gaskets probably would have worked I'm sure, but I'm hoping the remflex's are a cure all, never blow kind of gasket. For 60 bucks plus shipping they better be! :lol:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
2005 Ford Ranger
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

there are a myriad of problems that can come with this type of header construction....i'd get them surfaced and try to run stock gaskets :2cents: