HOW nice my truck stranded me for 2nd time in row.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sacramento_ford
Preferred User
Preferred User

HOW nice my truck stranded me for 2nd time in row.

Post by sacramento_ford »

well. got idle issue fixed. seemed to drive well.perfect!!! get 3 miles down the road and as im driving just stalls. poof complete stop. im like what the heck. wont restart,just turns over, just put in 5 gallons of gas., i only drove 1 or 2 miles. didnt seem to turn over very much ...battery died from tuning it over .. i just dont feel it could be spilling so much gas to where it would be empty, i only have a right tank , left side has a leak,,,i dont use this side.
390F100

Re: HOW nice my truck stranded me for 2nd time in row.

Post by 390F100 »

Could be fuel pump
"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

could be several things. Did it just all at once just die or kinda sputter sputter then die,

Might want to check for spark. as the engine warms up the coil could short out and boom it dies
could also be sediment or loose junk in the tank that partianlly blocked the lines after being driven for a while

jsut a few ideas of the top of my head

edit or like 390f100 said could be a fuel pump. just have to narrow it down..
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I agree...how it died is the key here. If it spit and sputtered before it died, it'll be a fuel issue. If it was just sudden with no warning, it's usually electrical.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
sacramento_ford
Preferred User
Preferred User

UPDATE Re: HOW nice my truck stranded me for 2nd time in r

has new fuel pump. wires, cap and rotor. timing set. well..last night it died suddenly. like fast. . coil wire to dist cap was was loose, fixed that, i get to my truck ,,ok so i put the battery in, seemed to struggle to start, almost like gotta pump gas and keep it going with throttle. . ok im off. im drivin. dies at stop light. seems like i have to hold down gas petal to struggle to get it to start. i may change the coil to see what happens. im thinking i may need a carb. i dont get it, when i first got it i drove it everywhere, 50 miles here and there. the junk in tank is a possiblilty,,,also.. the when i move the plate at the carb. the plate doesnt closes but not all the way. 3 cm i have to close by hand to make the plate fully closed.....last owner thought it was bright to let this truck sit for 4 years without driving it. the humanity ...ooh and i use 89 octane if that means anything,im guessing 200 dollar carb rebuilt from autozone might do the trick , thanks guys!!!
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Man, that bites. Hope you get it figured out.

Easy on the "cranking it till the battery is dead" stuff tho. Ford starters hate heat.
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Yeah. Did you clean your carb, with a new rebuild kit and set it to specifications? It sounds like your carb is way out of adjustment or something in it is gummed up. It is not hard to clean it with a couple cans of carb cleaner, put in a new carb kit and get the book and adjust it right. The butterfly valve would not normally close all the way when closed, there has to be some clearance for air to pass at idle. Id pull off your present carb and check it out with a book.
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

I didn't see new fuel filter in your list of stuff you tried. Did you replace it? If the truck sat for a while, the filter could be gummed up, or it clogged once the truck started running again. If you did replace it, replace it again. Running the truck may loosened up some crap in the tank and clogged up the new filter.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

clean the jets
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
alvinator
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by alvinator »

might check the fuel lines. My truck would die after about 5 minutes of travel time, replaced fuel pump and still the same. Found later that the fuel line from the pump to the carb had a small hole and was losing gas out of it. The pump could not stay up with the lose of gas.
sacramento_ford
Preferred User
Preferred User

im thinking its the carb, do you guys think anything electrical can cause any trobles of dying, or hard to reastart, i have to hold gas down to restart, so im presuming carB, i will check the fuel lineS before carb
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

a hot bad coil would stop it from restarting. until the coil cooled off. didn't you say you already replaced that though?
warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

I posted my reply on the wrong subject it is under carb and timing issue
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
Alfred Lord Tenniscourt

Post by Alfred Lord Tenniscourt »

I would see if it will run on carb cleaner. If it will, your ignition works fine. If it doesn't, fix your ignition until it does.
Off the cuff, I would say it sounds like the coil. If you put a meter between the terminals on the coil with the ignition switch off, it should read zero, or very low (like less than 5 ohms), resistance. If you can't get a reading across it, then the coil has opened up and needs to be replaced. These things usually work intermittently for a little while until they finally stop working completely. Also, they will cause the kind of sudden failure that you described, then the kind of sudden lack of failure that you described followed shortly by more sudden failure.
If you don't have a meter, you can pull out a light bulb from a turn signal, remove one coil lead, and put the bulb in series with the coil by touching the coil terminal to the side of the light bulb while you hold the wire that used to hook up to the coil to the terminal on the bottom of the bulb. If the points are closed, and the coil is good, you should see the bulb light up (it will be a little dim though because of the resistance wire). If you can't get it to light up, either the coil is bad or you have so much crap in your hands at once that you can't manage to get a good connection somewhere...
Good luck,
ALT
D.J. Wyman

Post by D.J. Wyman »

I'm with Alvinator. I had a Steel fuel line from the incab tank to the soft line. At the bend in the steel line it had a crack.
(sucking air and leaving my stranded) Thats my 2 cents ;)