360 Refresh

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

360 Refresh

Post by TNIceWolf »

Due to some stupid landlord rules i need to do and end run around them and refresh the internal parts on a 360. Bearings rings seals etc. Anybody had any luck with this?...See any huge problems with it?........the rules say i cant pull an engine but dont say i cant work on one in the vehicle.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
Merlin68F100

Re: 360 Refresh

Post by Merlin68F100 »

Sorry about your situation, but this reminded me of the doctor turned auto mechanic joke.
Thanks for the giggle.
Hope your refresh goes well.
"A point in every direction is the same as no point at all."
The Pointless Man
sgs

Post by sgs »

I have worked in a diesel shop for 36 years. This is commonly referred to as an "in frame". We do far more of these than "out of chassis majors". As long as your cylinders aren't out of round the parts you're installing don't know if the engine is on a stand or between your fenders. Cleanliness is important and just a tad more difficult but certainly this type of overhaul is done every day. No problem!

sgs
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

an in frame canbe done but its a little harder.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

ok.....so whats the preferred method of replacing tthe main bearings in this type of job?

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Do you know the mains are bad? FE's will run fine with lots of bearing clearance, unless the bearings are scored I would not replace them and if they are scored the crank will atleast need polished.

My opinion, but replacing mains the truck is asking for trouble.

I would say you can go as far as all new gaskets and replacing rings/rod bearings in the truck with a large amount of hassle, but mains is going to far to expect any type of gain from the work. I think it's unreasonable to expect you can keep the needed cleanliness to replace mains with the engine in the truck, especially in a 2wd with a large crossmember in your way.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
sgs

Post by sgs »

I've been on vacation for a while. I'm behind. looking up the old posts to get caught up, if this is still a question, I have to respectfully disagree. During my carrier (35 years) I've done this and seen it done literally hundreds of times. There is no reason that you can't roll in new main bearings in chassis. Cleanliness is a factor, I'm in full agreement. That being said, be careful. Roll the mains in one at a time. In the big engines I used to put a bolt with the head thinned down in the crankshaft oil hole and rotate the crank to roll the upper bearing half out and then back in. With a small gas engine. You should be able to roll them in and out with a small screw driver. You obviosley wont be able to mike the crank. Use plastiguage to check your clearance. 99% of the time you will be ok to just put the same bearing thickness back in as you won't be polishing or turning the crankshaft.

good luck

sgs
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

can you keep the truck at a friends house. or relatives? sounds to me that if you can't take the eng out that you will also need to have the truck running. when you are done in the evenings, where will you put the parts? iwould seriously find a place to keep the truck and take the eng out to work on. then when it is back together and running nice and when lease is up or whatever find a friendlier landlord to live under. just food for thought.
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

being a landlord myself. you dont know how many gearheads i have ran intot hat will stop working onthier stuff and just letit sit. i have to mow around that. and the city blames me for your nontagged stuff sitting around. why should a landlord have to pay for a gearhead who has lost intrest or has run out of money in the middle of a frame off? i won't do it. i will give warning and have it towed. i love doing the stuff myself. but if you mess with my peace. then you aren'tg oingt o get away with it. i will let soemone do thier thing but i won't stand to be treated unfairly either.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

thanks SGS for the info is what i pretty much figured anyway. I spent a few years in germany doing work for a military vehicle museum and that info pretty much matches my experience to date.

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

hi there hot rodford...... very sound advice there.....coming from a fellow vet doesnt surprise me at all. Former M1A1 tank systems mechanic here..first round in the sandbox called desert storm

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

unless there's something wrong with the bottom end I would leave it alone. Especialy since you can get the oil pan off without picking the engine up 4"..How you going to do that without a hoist?? :2cents:
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

By the simple use of a jack and blocks under the bell housing is what i was thinking. More blocking under the engine mounts should allow the jack to then be removed i would think

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW